Parker Hale bolt stripping and maintenance?

Adamant

Can anyone tell me - or even better, draw me a simple picture :oops: - how to strip and clean the bolt on my Parker Hale Safari Deluxe .270. It looks as if it should be strippable like the bolts on my other rifles, but it has me flummoxed. It's the standard PH 1200 style action without the bolt-mounted safety catch. Otherwise, put my mind at rest by telling me it doesn't need stripping and greasing, and that I should stop fiddling with my guns and get out more...

Any help appreciated.

Adam.

It needs stripping and greasing.

In the African dust, n excess of lubricant will attract dirt and may cause a misfire. Degrease the bolt and sparingly apply some dry-lube.

Somebody help the man!!!!

In the African dust, n excess of lubricant will attract dirt and may cause a misfire. Degrease the bolt and sparingly apply some dry-lube.

A couple of quick soaks in meths then lubed through any holes.

Use the time saved to go and have a pint.

Win win situation!

It's simples :D........................

With the bolt in the rifle lift the bolt handle to cock the bolt then close it again. Lift the flag safety to the central position ( assuming it has the Mauser flag safety that is) and open the bolt and remove from rifle then with safety still in this upright position unscrew the rear of the bolt and then clean off the muck excess lube allow to dry and apply sparing new lub or leave bone dry. Wash out bolt body and leave dry once all is down screw rear of bolt complete with firing ping back in then repalce bolt in rifle ................................... job done.

If it has the P-H low swing safety it's more complicated and requires a little muscle. Sorry about that.

Yes but...no but...

The safety catch is on the rifle rather than the bolt (it's a Timney type trigger). The bolt itself looks like it should 'turn and compress' like my other bolts but I can't work it out - it's like one of those diabolical puzzles involving rope and steel rings...

I take you don't know how then, given that unhelpful response!

And yes, your answer machine message WAS bitter (I played it on loudspeaker to the office and everyone agreed - very bitter. Tragic...:thumb:

Just give it a sloush in meths or petrol. If really, really bad then chuck in the ultrasonic cleaner with pure meths.

Leave to dry and then grease through the access points/holes....i have red grease in a syringe for that purpose.

It's not worth the hassle or getting paranoid about.

Try to get a copy of "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank De Haas it will detail the stripping of the Parker Hale mauser bolt or alternatively do a search on the internet there must be someone who has gone to the trouble of putting it on the web. You could also look under Santa Barbara actions or Interarms as the same action was used by several manufacturers.
It isn't that difficult but it is some years since I did one so I am relying on memory and I may be wrong, but try the following;

Close the bolt and you will notice a small hole in the tail of the bolt if you insert a pin it will hold the spring in a compressed state when you reopen the bolt and remove it from the rifle. You can then unscrew the bolt shroud after pressing in on the small spring loaded plunger, a certain amount of effort is required but it shouldn't be too difficult for you to work out.
Re-assembly is just the reverse.

It's certainly worth the effort of stripping and cleaning it properly every so often. There is no way that dunking it in meths or a petroleum based liquid will clean out all the gunk properly, and the same goes for just squirting lubricant into holes hoping that it will go in the right place.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

The only difference is you wont have the safety to hold the cocking piece back so you will have to pull the cocking piece back whilst unscrewing the back of the bolt. This can be done by looping a piece of stong string (paracord would work) around the cocking piece and pulling the cocking piece back far enough so it clears the notch in the bolt to allow the bolt back/shroud to be unscrewed. When refitting you will have to grip the bolt shroud/back and pull the cocking piece back again to allow you to screw the bolt body back on. Good Luck

Sorry misread you OP :rolleyes: :cry: :oops: nd thought you had an original safari model.

Ok it's a Mauser 98 without a bolt mounted safety. Pull the firing pin nut (the bit that the sear engages and hangs down out of the shroud) back. You can use some cord or the edge of a wood top/desk/shelf etc or even grip it in a bench vice carefully. Thne pull ti back so you can unscrew the rear of the bolt. Once unscrewed you can wash it off easliy. Assembly is the reverse.

bbrc his link is correct i accidentally turned the bolt while out of the rifle and uncocked it follow the link as described they are a dodle once you have done it for the first time i used a flat spanner to pull the lug back with one hand while holding the bolt with the other once dissasembled push down on some hardwood with the firing pin to rescrew back together.

I take you don't know how then, given that unhelpful response!

And yes, your answer machine message WAS bitter (I played it on loudspeaker to the office and everyone agreed - very bitter. Tragic...:thumb:

Yes, you're right, I don't know how to strip the Parker-Hale bolt.

I don't know about rope-and-ring puzzles either to be totally honest with you mate.

I was only trying to help.

:(

How to strip Parker-Hale 1200 bolt

This is a late response, but I just joined the group. Here's how to strip the Parker-Hale 1200 bolt for cleaning. These instructions are for P-H rifles based on the Mauser 98 (Santa Barbara) actions and where the safety catch is not mounted on the bolt, but on the trigger.

1. Verify that the rifle is unloaded.

2. Fit the bolt to the rifle, and close the action. This cocks the bolt.

3. Look sideways at rear of the bolt, underneath, at the cocking piece. You will see a small transverse hole.

4. Insert a small allen key or strong pin in the hole. A paper clip isn't strong enough.

5. Remove the bolt from the rifle. The pin holds the bolt in the cocked position.

6. The bolt latch is a small plunger on the side of the bolt shroud. Press it in, and unscrew the bolt shroud.

7. Remove the bolt shroud from the bolt body, and the captive firing pin will come out with it.

This is as far as you need to go for basic drying, cleaning and lubrication. If the assembly is filthy, you need to disassemble it further.

1. Find a piece of scrap wood, ideally with a 1/4" hole in it, into which you insert the firing pin up to the flange. Failing that, just press the tip of the firing pin into the wood. Don't use your wife's mahogany dinner table as the firing pin leaves a deep hole.

2. With the firing pin assembly upright, grasp the bolt shroud with your right hand, and press firmly down to compress the firing pin spring. It takes some considerable effort and has to compress the firing pin spring by perhaps an inch.

3. The top of the firing pin has three lateral locking lugs. These engage on the inside of the cocking piece. Once the shroud has been pushed down far enough, you will be able to rotate the cocking piece through 90 degrees and disengage the locking lugs. Keep tight hold of the shroud, and lift the cocking piece clear and place to one side. (Sidenote: one one of my P-Hs, the cocking piece rotates easily in either direction; the other P-H is a tight fit and the cocking piece rotates only in one direction and then only grudgingly.)

4. Carefully release the shroud and place to one side. You can now remove the uncompressed firing pin spring and proceed to clean everything.

Reassembly is the reverse.

I would advise anyone who has purchased a 2nd hand rifle to do this as a matter of course.
the crap that came out of the two that I have was unreal!, no amount of meths would have helped.
They both now cock and fire with much crisper action.

I used a chopping board rather than edge of the dining room table, just push the bottom lug back against the board and then depending you will either have a hole you can put a pin in or you can half turn the lug so it cant slide back into its channel and then unscrew.

careful when you go to release the spring, it is strong and would give you a nasty nip if it was to slip of the chopping board......:oops:

Forget the paracord, bolt out of the rifle grip the cocking piece in a padded vice(card such as business card), pull the bolt body forward and a gap will appear between cocking piece and body, insert a thin rod about 1.5mms. diameter in gap and allow the bolt body to move back under the spring tension and remove bolt from the vice.Looking down on the bolt from the top, body towards you there is a plunger on the left side of the rear shroud, your right as you are looking at it, push this in and unscrew the shroud/ firing pin as a unit from the bolt(count the turns), do not dis-assemble further you do not need to remove the spring. Clean the bolt as needed, grease and re-assemble counting the turns in reverse order. If you get it right it will take you less time than it took me to write this post.
Best of luck,
Brora 260

Last edited:
I have two PH's
one has the hole you describe the other does not. A 1/4 turn of the back of the firing pin to stop it sliding back in holds the pressure to allow the shroud to unscrew.

In practice mine will only screw in a certain number of times before fouling the bolt handle.
you cant over screw

I would always advise a full strip.
the amount of crud buried between pin and spring and pin and shroud was amazing. If anything it is these areas that effect the smoothness of the bolt operation.

it only takes 2 seconds to do that as well.

pics here
http://www.bobtuley.com/mauser/default.htm

c
ant believe there isnt a PH specific strip video on youtube

Back