finally got me ticket

goldypurple

well after a 5 month wait, i finally got my ticket in my hand. And got everything i asked for .22 for vermin .223 fox and small deer and .308 for deer, all with mods.:D

i went to police hq and collected it, within 5mins of leaving the police station i had bought my first rifle:D. But unfortunately it werent one of the deer calibres:(.

still havent decided what to buy, anyone any ideas what to get.

Andy

Good deals on Browning A-bolt composite stalker rifles at the moment but they don't come threaded for a moderator!!
My mate has one in 308 (synthetic/blued barrel) and it shoots staight!

Hi,
When I started out I got a ticket like you for 223, 243 and 308 trying to cover all game. I bought 3 guns, 3 mods, 3 bipods and 3 scopes. The first to go was the 308 because I seldom went after the Reds. Then I realised that I could load the 243 with anything from 58gr upto and beyond 100gr and therefore the 223 was no longer needed for charlie. The end result I got half what I paid for these two outfits and I am left with an all singing all dancing 243 If I had put all the money I spent on the 3 into the 243 i could now have the best scope and semi custom set up?? I wish I had listened to my seniors. Put the money you were going to spend on the 223 into the 308 and use it for all quarry - great round. Happy shooting.

Hi,
When I started out I got a ticket like you for 223, 243 and 308 trying to cover all game. I bought 3 guns, 3 mods, 3 bipods and 3 scopes. The first to go was the 308 because I seldom went after the Reds. Then I realised that I could load the 243 with anything from 58gr upto and beyond 100gr and therefore the 223 was no longer needed for charlie. The end result I got half what I paid for these two outfits and I am left with an all singing all dancing 243 If I had put all the money I spent on the 3 into the 243 i could now have the best scope and semi custom set up?? I wish I had listened to my seniors. Put the money you were going to spend on the 223 into the 308 and use it for all quarry - great round. Happy shooting.

Pretty sound advice there. I would add (if you ahaven't already got them) to put a good pair of binos into the equasion. JC

Pretty sound advice there. I would add (if you ahaven't already got them) to put a good pair of binos into the equasion. JC

True, the 308 will do everything you want of a sporting rifle for most of the world's non dangerous game. The 243 will do it all as well, but arguably, less well:stir:
However, if you're anything like me, and quite a few are, then one gun, good. Three guns 3x gooder!

I don't know what youve got to spend but i would definately sort yourself out with a good set up for the .308 first and then later think on the .223,.308 will do everything you want and you may find that you don't need the .223 after all but then it's nice to have something in reserve.Personally i've got .17hmr,.243 and 30.06 which covers anything i'd ever need and if anything had to go it would be the .243.Good luck with your choice there's lots of .308's out there to choose from sauer or sako would be my preference and a decent bit of glass.
ATB Neil.

Goldy, congratulations!

I was advised to pay as much for a scope as I did for the rifle. It's sound advice! Most factory rifles are very accurate right out of the box, but if you can't see the deer you can't shoot them. As has been said don't forget good binoculars too, for the same reason. So buy the best telescopic sight and binoculars you can afford and a rifle to go with them.

At the medium end of the market the X-bolt is developing a good following, the tikka's are well proven and guaranteed to do at least 1" groups out of the box. But have you considered a good second hand rifle? Without knowing your budget it's hard to advise, but any of the good makes will shoot, Sako, Blaser, Saur, Mauser or Heym. Buy a good action and you can if you want to, in the future, have it rebarreled. The Guntrader site is well worth a look. Let us know what you get!

Atb, ft

good glass is a must i went for a swaro ,.never looked through clearer glass.x bolt was my choice because the std stock felt comfy.

Back