Leupold qr rings

blueeyes

Hi Guys I have Leupold QR rings and bases on my Rem 700 VSSF .223 my scope is a swaro 8x50 but I want to be able to swap it for a S/Px scope for use with night vision,couple queries, does this system work IE does the scopes hold zero, and how do Leupold measure the height of their rings is it from the base of the ring or from the receiver to the centre of the ring or the start of the ring :doh: lol all a bit confusing​

does this system work IE does the scopes hold zero,​

yes they do
I run them on a sako quad with 4 barrels and 4 scopes
and on my .222 as the scope comes off before it goes in the cabinet

how do Leupold measure the height of their rings is it from the base of the ring or from the receiver to the centre of the ring or the start of the ring​

could be
either way it depends on scope, receiver and barrel profile

I used a set on my Model 70 Express .375 H&H, on and off, with the iron sights, and never lost zero.
They measure them from the bottom of the base to the bottom inside of the saddle in the ring.

My bases on the Model 70 were Leupold two-piece cross slot, but the QRW rings have been used on my other rifles on Warne and Picatinny rail. The cross bars in the rings are square, made to fully contact a square slot. They will not work in a rounded cross slot.

Last edited:
I've got the QR picatinny versions and use them on my HMR with NV and no problems with holding zero and the scope comes off every time the rifle goes away.

Thanks for the replies guys mine are just the two bases and pillar rings which lock with levers, are these just as good,just need to source a set of 30mm now lol.

Thanks for the replies guys mine are just the two bases and pillar rings which lock with levers, are these just as good,just need to source a set of 30mm now lol.

I personally think these are one of, if not THE best design for return to zero mounts
30mm rings available all over including ebay

I currently have Apels and hate them.

Massively over engineered, too high and far too many moving parts.

Interesting. Are these the swing offs by chance? Recently noticed a BSA rifle with the roll off Apel mounts fitted and they did not seem complicated nor high. In fact until this I was not aware that Apel made more traditional roll off mounts.

Interesting. Are these the swing offs by chance? Recently noticed a BSA rifle with the roll off Apel mounts fitted and they did not seem complicated nor high. In fact until this I was not aware that Apel made more traditional roll off mounts.

Swing offs.

I think there are something like 9 peices in each mount, all of which need to be adjusted and secured. Asking for trouble.

I think they're an affectation and not remotely fit for purpose.

I currently have Apels and hate them.

Massively over engineered, too high and far too many moving parts.

But do they work ?

I have Recknagel, and Ziegler QR mounts on my driven boar rifles. The Rechnagel are swing off, and pretty simple, the Ziegler are a claw mount, and much more involved to fit, & set up, and I decided to have them both fitted by Erwin at Alan Rhone, who fitted the appropriate height mounts, & shims, to suit my scopes. I'd be very surprised if Apel didn't have different height mounts too.

They 'work' in that you can get the scope on and off without too much zero shift (usually less than an inch). However: to allow enough play in the bases to enable to swing the mounts, you have to ease off a nut.

They 'work' in that you can get the scope on and off without too much zero shift (usually less than an inch). However: to allow enough play in the bases to enable to swing the mounts, you have to ease off a nut.
This then means that there is tiny bit of wobble in the system. And that means you can't hold a consistent zero.

To avoid the wobble, you have to tighten the nut in the base as far is it goes. And then you cant swing the scope.

They really are an absurd design.

I actually have no desire for quick release mounts of any kind. However, because of my eyesight, I need very short eye relief on the scope. This means I need extension rings that allow the scope to be mounted a long way back. The leupold qr system has these. And is a much simpler, more robust system than the apels.

As for finding apels with lower bases: I've spoken at length with Rhone (who are very helpful, it has to be said). I already have the lowest bases - and they leave me with about 7mm clearance between the objective bell of an 8x56 and the barrel! I just don't understand the point of such excessive height!

Oh, that sounds naff ! Both of mine are pretty easy to fit/remove, and hold zero well enough for driven boar, plus some, but are outrageously expensive for what they are.

Back