At Last a Few Duck.........

The building wind had the desired affect of pushing the ducks out of the main river, as the rising tide forced us from our muddy hiding places to the top of the marsh.
I had a few decoys out in front as birds were taking that line as we walked over to our spot.
With the wind in our face it suited the 2 Spaniels as any birds landing in front drifted in making shorter swims.

Some nice retrieve's , with both dogs swimming across open water to pick up birds that landed on the marsh in front...10 birds in an hour and a half was good going and also enough.

I will drop them off this afternoon to a shooter who cant get out on the marsh these days...
001_zpsxizk1yyh.jpg
003_zps6pkfnduc.jpg
005_zpsqpst1x4z.jpg

Tim.243

Last edited:
Good shooting and sport. Been abroad an entire season so can't explain how much I've missed it! Good work and good luck for the rest of the season.

Nice. I am an avid waterfowler so I am curious if I have the species correct - looks like wigeon and green wing teal, is that correct?

Nice. I am an avid waterfowler so I am curious if I have the species correct - looks like wigeon and green wing teal, is that correct?

Thank you, the teal do have a splash of green. This is tidal shooting which is BHW below the high water mark until the 20th, all inland shooting stopped on the 31st.

Tim.243

Good sport report and nice shooting too. Cocker looks a bit cold, good to see he's wrapped up, guess it was a bit chilly in the wind. Cheers Jerry

Good sport report and nice shooting too. Cocker looks a bit cold, good to see he's wrapped up, guess it was a bit chilly in the wind. Cheers Jerry

Thank you, he was fine just not happy as he wanted to get back out and run around in the mud instead of
sitting for a picture....lol

They give so much which is fantastic to watch...

Tim.243

Thank you, the teal do have a splash of green. This is tidal shooting which is BHW below the high water mark until the 20th, all inland shooting stopped on the 31st.

Tim.243

I'm a bit confused. Do you only have 1 teal species in the UK? We have 3 species here (along with 2 more that show up rarely). For us, the Green Wing (Anas creccka) is the smallest one and easiest to ID. We also have Blue wing and Cinnamon teal.

I'm a bit confused. Do you only have 1 teal species in the UK? We have 3 species here (along with 2 more that show up rarely). For us, the Green Wing (Anas creccka) is the smallest one and easiest to ID. We also have Blue wing and Cinnamon teal.

What we have on our marsh's is the common Teal or as you call it Green wing Teal...

Tim.243

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tim.243 Thank you, the teal do have a splash of green. This is tidal shooting which is BHW below the high water mark until the 20th, all inland shooting stopped on the 31st.

This is what I meant by a splash of green...

These two took the short route in very strong wind this morning and never made the shelter they were heading for...

002_zpsvvekbthc.jpg

Tim.243

Follow up question - are you also able to sell your wildfowl on the market or through a game dealer?

The sales of venison/game is one major difference between the US and UK, just curious if migratory birds can also be sold.

In the states, it would be a federal crime to sell waterfowl or parts that are not pen-raised. The only exception is the ability to sell/trade feathers for fly tying purposes ONLY (and that is variable state by state).

Follow up question - are you also able to sell your wildfowl on the market or through a game dealer?

The sales of venison/game is one major difference between the US and UK, just curious if migratory birds can also be sold.

In the states, it would be a federal crime to sell waterfowl or parts that are not pen-raised. The only exception is the ability to sell/trade feathers for fly tying purposes ONLY (and that is variable state by state).

Game dealers will take them, however our club rules prevent the sale of wildfowl. I would say that is to stop big bags being shot on club waters in the first month of the season as the young ducks are easy prey...

Lots of game shoots have release pond/lakes to make a duck drive during the day.
From the BASC web site, (it is illegal to sell, exchange or barter wild geese or any part of them (only sufficient birds should be shot to satisfy the requirements of the shooters or their friends).

Tim.243

Back