Six Nations Rugby

The supporters are getting more like football supporters every year, disrespect for traditions, I think this is even showing up among the players.

Calcutta cup is rarely an attractive game to watch
too much hatred and history on the pitch

I would hazard a guess that little of that is actually to be found "on the pitch".

The majority of professional rugby players these days ply their trade across national, and indeed international, boundaries. A third of Scotland's team yesterday play their regular rugby outside of Scotland.

On the terraces it is sadly a different story, but again not unexpected when Nationalism is being pushed so hard.

There are no shoe ins in this year's 6N but you've got to think that both Wales and Ireland have the beating of the rest based on this weekend's games, will it be down to a points chase on the final weekend.....again!!

Got up at 2.38 am to watch the matches, thought England dominated a poor Scotland performance , Italy played well, France have a long way to go, another 3am start Tmo .

Well I reckon the match was worth setting the alarm clock for!

Just a shame that they weren't able to make the best of the try scoring opportunities on either wing in the first 5 minutes.

Agree- Ireland/Wales was the best to watch. But I wonder what the draw will do to both their chances in the 6N. Only time will tell.

my money as stated are on Wales, as I said they will get better and better as the tournament developes,

bob

A very sad day at Murrayfield. Why hatred is still being shown (after 600 years) on the sporting field I don't know. I wonder why they don't boo the Italians for building the wall The Ireland crowd was virtually silent for all the kicks, showing great respect from both sets of fans.
Perhaps it's just a Scottish thing that they need somebody to hate and blame things on.

A very sad day at Murrayfield. Why hatred is still being shown (after 600 years) on the sporting field I don't know. I wonder why they don't boo the Italians for building the wall The Ireland crowd was virtually silent for all the kicks, showing great respect from both sets of fans.
Perhaps it's just a Scottish thing that they need somebody to hate and blame things on.

Happily agree with what you've written but perhaps you could change it to say 'some Scots'. The people in question would also be more likely to cheer the Italians for building the wall!

Everybody loves to hate the English. A good bit of rivalry spices things up, but it can look a bit ridiculous when the Scots (some of them) take it too far and it sort of backfires, making them look bitter and twisted. Which is not how I see the Scots that I know.

Happily agree with what you've written but perhaps you could change it to say 'some Scots'. The people in question would also be more likely to cheer the Italians for building the wall!

You are of course correct, and I tender my abject apologies to you and many of my Scottish friends for that error.
:doh:

Amen to that! - Very poor that any rugby crowd becomes disrespectful.

I wasn't there, but did not hear anything over a tannoy asking the supporters to show respect. Its even more disappointing that the officials think that this kind of behaviour is okay.

I wasn't there, but did not hear anything over a tannoy asking the supporters to show respect. Its even more disappointing that the officials think that this kind of behaviour is okay.

If it's like Twickenham then a message appears on the scoreboard, rather than being announced. To be honest even a message on the scoreboard is not really needed, as there's a strong history of respecting the kicker. Anyone making a noise is normally told in no uncertain terms to shut up by other members of the crowd.

It was interesting listening to the commentary for the game on both the radio and the TV. In both cases the noise from the crowd during the kicking for points was commented on as being disrespectful and disappointing. Contrast that with Dublin or Paris.

To be fair, though, Brian Moore said he never expected silence from the crowd when he was doing the kicking ;):D

Back