Steyr Pro Hunter II thoughts please

Co1

Went to see a steyr today with a view to pulling the trigger on it (pun intended!). The price was great and when I asked why he said "can't sell them, everyone round here wants a tikka". When I asked him why he just shrugged.

So, is there any real reason to choose a tikka instead, or is it just personal preference?

The stock if plastic is ****. I was going to get one as I liked the set trigger and safety but the stock was awful so I ended up getting a tikka.

Hi, If you are putting bipod, mod on then forget it. Stock can't handle it. Flexes like hell. Purchased 25-06 new around a year ago, ended up putting a SSStock on it as I would have lost far to much trading it in. Barrel heats up very quickly so have to take your time zeroing it.
That said they have great action, brilliant three stage safety, and nice looking twist in the barrel, and very accurate if you get it worked out. Happy with mine now.
Jim

I have the prohunter in 308 and have found it very good even with plastic stock. I can cloverleaf at 100 yds with SU mod attached. I also use it for target shooting and never found a problem with overheating. Yes you have to be careful not to put sideways pressure on the forend as it is flexible and can touch the barrel. It has the fluted barrel and did not perform as well with an over the barrel mod.

Calum

I can't grasp where all the Pro hunter hatred comes from. I have a .243 plastic stocked pro hunter which shoots sub 1inch with virtually all the factory ammo I've tried! That's with a mod attached and shooting off a bipod.

I daresay if you twist the stock when you shoot it will flex like a lot of others. The trick is to hold it properly! You shouldn't be applying uneven pressure of flexing the stock to start with!

I've owned both a Tikka and a Steyr and there no comparison. Pro hunters are now discontinued but the replacement model would be well worth a look as well.

The aftermarket industry don't seem to be interested in Steyr Prohunter or SM12 range. Maybe it has something to do with the way the barrel was or is fitted which could have put it into the category of "throw away" rifles like Sauer 101/Mauser M12.
My experience is that Steyr rifles can be very accurate off a bench, the stock however is not great for varies hunting shooting positions. Why buy a hunting rifle that is not good at all shooting positions? Steyr prohunter has been criticised for the stock since day one and no one did anything about it, MKII was not better and neither is the new SM12SX. Why should the customer buy such a rifle if one can have a T3? Compared to the prohunter/SX the T3 has a simpler safety arrangement, same accuracy in the field maybe better, rifle builders will welcome you with a T3, plenty aftermarket parts available similar to a Rem700 and even the cheap plastic stock on a T3 is by far better than on the Steyr. A young local chap with a 243 prohunter came to us because he couldn't get on with the accuracy in the field. We reinforced the forend on his plastic stock and did a front action bedding as far as I remember. Since then he his delighted his rifle.

edi

Hello
How is the barrel fitted ?
According to a thread on here a while back it seems at least newer Prohunters have threaded barrels. It is however not clear if they were always threaded. Steyr use heat shrinking barrel fitting on some of their rifles.

It will be interesting to see the new Sauer 100 rifle (launched at US shot show) if they will offer it to the Euro market. Apparently 100 will have a threaded barrel and possibly more conventional build compared to the 101 which I think is a bit of a flop.

Which ever way one looks at it neither the market nor the aftermarket parts manufacturers have really accepted the Prohunter.

edi

The pro hunter was always threaded why fit aftermarket parts on some thing that does not need them
glynne

Even steyr themselves admit the stock is lousy on the prohunter, at least to me they did. They could very much improve with aftermarket bits as many other factory rifles would also. Fact is the prohunter stock costs around 25 euro to manufacture, maybe less. You get what you pay for.
edi

I have had both a T3 and a prohunter 2, without a shadow of a doubt the prohunter was the better rifle. The single set trigger is on the same level as a Jewell. I could wait to get rid of the T3. I often wish I had kept the prohunter. The prohunter was a 260 and would often shoot 1 hole groups. The T3 never done it

ive had three pro hunters still got one which I will change the stock on eventually I am going to open up the barrel channel though first and stiffen this I did on the 308 which had thumb hole results with factory ammo doing if i did my bit
Norma

Back