416 Remington - 400gr or 450gr?

mchughcb

People shooting the 416 calibres, how do you compare the performance on game of the 400gr RNSP versus the 450gr RNSP out to 200m?

Have shot in Africa with both and prefer the 400gr. Less of an arc in the trajectory but seldom use it out to 200 yards. Close up makes little difference.

Cheers for that. I'll be shooting out to 200m or more on occasion so bullet drop will be an issue.

The sectional density of the 450gr bullets is very impressive. If I was using solids for elephant I'd go for that weight. Even then, you don't need 450's.

For any other use I see no reason why a 400gr@2400fps wouldn't work and has been said, it's flatter.

Good to know. I'll only be loading for about 4000ftlb as I'm only shooting a lightweight rifle as the kick is still going to be brutal.

So basically you're running a 450-400 3" aka 400 Jeffery. It'll take any animal in the world like so I don't think you'll have a problem. The 400 Jeffery is usually used at 100 yards and less on BIG stuff. It'll pummel large deer waaaay past that.

What is it you're gonna be shooting at?

At the risk of being verbally assaulted from all comers, stick a muzzle brake on it and make the recoil quite manageable.
My tin hat is on now and I'm ready for the inevitable flak from all who know better. However, I know I have shot with a brake on mine for years and all the p&£h that I get from those who know better is just that - p&£h.
Good hunting my man.

I took a 416 Rem to Africa and took Gemsbok. Kudu, Zebra and smaller game up to 360 yards with 350gr Speer soft points - one shot one kill on them all.

Can't be bothered doing the maths but I can't see how 10% shift in bullet mass is going to make that much difference given the calibre you are talking about. Happy to be proven wrong though in the interest of learning.

I took a 416 Rem to Africa and took Gemsbok. Kudu, Zebra and smaller game up to 360 yards with 350gr Speer soft points - one shot one kill on them all.

That's good to hear, where did you hit them and how far did they run?

At the risk of being verbally assaulted from all comers, stick a muzzle brake on it and make the recoil quite manageable.
My tin hat is on now and I'm ready for the inevitable flak from all who know better. However, I know I have shot with a brake on mine for years and all the p&£h that I get from those who know better is just that - p&£h.
Good hunting my man.

Cheers for that. I won't be putting a muzzle brake on it just yet as I'm only shooting 4000ftlb and I've shot more than this with my mates 300WBM in my R93 off the bench and its not so bad for me that I need a brake. Upping it to 5200ftlb in a 7lb rifle though is another step up and would probably require it.

Last edited:
The trouble is that over here in the Uk, not many own a 416 and even fewer will have it licenced for use on British deer. About the biggest we can get licensed is the 375 H&H for everyday use on deer. To get answers ask our friends in the big bore forums on NitroExpress.com welcomes you to nitro express and big bore and big game action or http://www.accuratereloading.com.

I'm a member of Nitro express, but not sure how many are using it for red deer and who is shooting it enough to make some reasonable conclusions. If/When I get my barrel out of customs I'll be posting the what I find out here for educational purposes.

Never used a 416 Remington but have a 404 Jefery and used a fair few 416 Rigbys all shot well with both 400 and 450s but 400s where slightly more pleasant to shoot and had less drop not that it made any difference between 50 or 100 yards.

Personnal try both shoot what your rifle prefers.

I'm a member of Nitro express, but not sure how many are using it for red deer and who is shooting it enough to make some reasonable conclusions. If/When I get my barrel out of customs I'll be posting the what I find out here for educational purposes.

Yes - of course I have seen you on Nitro Express.

Working on the basis of first principles, compared to a large bull buffalo a Red Deer represents quite a soft target for a 416. A lighter for calibre bullet will not have as high a BC as the heavier bullets so rather than penetrating they will probably open up and dump energy in the target. It will also start off faster, but may not actually shoot any flatter out to 200 yards.

But a Red or Samba stag is still quite a big animal and so on the basis that travelling hunters with 416s probably shoot more plains game than dangerous game, I would n't over think it too much and just put the bullet in behind the shoulder and I don't think they will too long to expire. But I would make sure you have a good expanding bullet, rather than a solid. Certainly 416s are used with good effect on everything from Duikers upwards.

Last edited:
Cheers I'm particularly interested in how how far they travelling after a chest shot in the 100 to 150m ranges. I'm also interested in the blood trail compared to a 30-06. Either way the answers have be useful and ill fo my own tests soon hopefully.

Cheers I'm particularly interested in how how far they travelling after a chest shot in the 100 to 150m ranges. I'm also interested in the blood trail compared to a 30-06. Either way the answers have be useful and ill fo my own tests soon hopefully.

Enjoy the field work. You will require a large data sample to be conclusive, so you will need many many days hunting - well that is what I would be telling the management.

Gemsbok - heart shot @ around 320 yards - half turn and dropped
Kudu - heart shot at 90 yards - standing jump of 9 yards (spectacular to see) - dead on landing
Springbok at 360 yards - just behind the heart - dropped on the spot
Springbok at around 250 yards - heart shot - dropped on the spot
Long range shooting seems to be the norm where I went!
Nearly forgot the Zebra - got it at full gallop at around 100 yards - one shot a bit far back and coup de grace in the neck

Last edited:
Back