Binocular harness

CCB

Two of my regular stalking jackets/smocks have binocular pockets which i have taken for granted, lately with all this wonderfull wet weather, driving wind and rain etc i have been wearing the swazi smock! which does the job just fine! but whats irritating the hell out of me is the Binos swinging about! questions beeing, What is the best Harness to stop this? not really fussed about keeping the binos dry! but protected would be a slight bonus whilst crawling! i want the simplest type, that's easy to use! not to bulky! not covered in buckles/tails etc! theirs nothing more annoying than dragging deer, rifle over the shoulder, and Binos swinging about! So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Two of my regular stalking jackets/smocks have binocular pockets which i have taken for granted, lately with all this wonderfull wet weather, driving wind and rain etc i have been wearing the swazi smock! which does the job just fine! but whats irritating the hell out of me is the Binos swinging about! questions beeing, What is the best Harness to stop this? not really fussed about keeping the binos dry! but protected would be a slight bonus whilst crawling! i want the simplest type, that's easy to use! not to bulky! not covered in buckles/tails etc! theirs nothing more annoying than dragging deer, rifle over the shoulder, and Binos swinging about! So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

I use the Swaro Bino Harness on my Leica Geovids. They are simple and do the job, without 'getting in the way '.There's a couple more fancy harness's out there but from what I read they seem somewhat OTT in their set up. I would keep it simple and get a pair of the Swaro's.

[h=1]S4 Gear LockDown X Binocular Harness[/h]

I have these and they are very handy. My best mate who stalks on regular basis loves them as well.

The Monarch country products one is excellent. Great value at £15 ish, simple and durable.

Last edited:
Have a look at Tony Halpin's site 'Corbieton' I am sure a search will find him. I have used a set for ten years and besides replacing stretched elastic found them very effective and comfy. They are cheap too I think. Cheers Jerry

Interesting differences there guys, will have a look at them!

Thanks

A friend of mine uses a system from Tenzing. They perform really well. I would like them myself but he said he struggled to find a UK supplier and purchased them from The States. Would be grateful if anyone has any info pease; also, will they accommodate the EL Range 8x42?

I have mentioned this once before, but got little interest, but it is something I saw in Africa. They find that a harness can make your shirt stick to you, so hang their binos round the neck with one arm through the strap. When you don't want it, push it back under your arm, then pull it round the front for use. If you are doing serious crawling, push it further round into the small of your back. One thing you will need to ensure is, that the "sticky" part of the strap is worn upside down, so the strap slides easily.
Marcher.

I have mentioned this once before, but got little interest, but it is something I saw in Africa. They find that a harness can make your shirt stick to you, so hang their binos round the neck with one arm through the strap. When you don't want it, push it back under your arm, then pull it round the front for use. If you are doing serious crawling, push it further round into the small of your back. One thing you will need to ensure is, that the "sticky" part of the strap is worn upside down, so the strap slides easily.
Marcher.

Yes, I bought the Swarovski quick-adjust strap for this very reason. They can be worn long across body or short to the front in the conventional manner & yes, swinging them round onto your back for a crawl works. I thought about a harness but it looked like it would make prone awkward.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought the Swarovski quick-adjust strap for this very reason. They can be worn long across body or short to the front in the conventional manner & yes, swinging them round onto your back for a crawl works. I thought about a harness but it looked like it would make prone awkward.

Well as they say you learn something new every day. I have spent the last 20 years getting irritated by binoculars when crawling. Have tended to take them off and keep in one hand with rifle in the other. Stuffing them down the front of you jacket tends to make the exterior of the lenses all fog up with moisture. Next time will just swing them round my back.

Marcher.

I do this with my camera, ever since a trip to Barcelona where camera and bag snatching is rife. Tucking the camera under your elbow helped to keep it from swinging around and out of sight and the strap over your neck was more secure than over one shoulder.

As I don't do much crawling in my stalking... I tend to just have my binoculars high on my chest and tucked into to my jacket front.

I have wondered though about attaching a loop of knicker elastic to the bib of my jacket to hook over and stop them swinging forward under extreme manoeuvres. Even a leather loop attached by kilt pin, velcro, press stud or button would be adequate and mean you did not have the fuss and restriction of a harness. It could get quite fancy and include a rain flap. Must mention the idea to Harkila and retire on the copyright fees.

Alan

I do this with my camera, ever since a trip to Barcelona where camera and bag snatching is rife. Tucking the camera under your elbow helped to keep it from swinging around and out of sight and the strap over your neck was more secure than over one shoulder.

As I don't do much crawling in my stalking... I tend to just have my binoculars high on my chest and tucked into to my jacket front.

I have wondered though about attaching a loop of knicker elastic to the bib of my jacket to hook over and stop them swinging forward under extreme manoeuvres. Even a leather loop attached by kilt pin, velcro, press stud or button would be adequate and mean you did not have the fuss and restriction of a harness. It could get quite fancy and include a rain flap. Must mention the idea to Harkila and retire on the copyright fees.

Alan

Unfortunately (for your retirement plans) my 20 year old Nomad smock has exactly this, a slightly stretchy strap with a press-popper to hold them tight against your chest. Sorry...

S4 Gear LockDown X Binocular Harness

I have these and they are very handy. My best mate who stalks on regular basis loves them as well.

+1 on the lockdowns...very nice. Secure with no swinging and nicely protected when stowed and no elastic tension when viewing.

Monarch bino harness and cover , great value .The harness wont stretch like the neoprene ones and will last a lifetime.

Back