S&B Scope Fogging Up

karlbird

Looking for some advice please.

Recently I have noticed that the inside of my scope, both front and rear, seems to fog up when I move it from warm to cold and vice versa. Problem is, I can't say I have ever looked before, I just spotted it in the light one day - so I don't know if it has always done this or its new problem, I bought the scope on a rifle secondhand about 6 months ago.

The scope is a Schmidt 8x56 Hungarian.

Other than it being a pain if I don't acclimatise the rifle before I want to use it, is this going to be a problem in any other way?

I hear it is not so easy to return S&Bs these days now they have no UK distributor, is that right or is it ok? Although I can't really be bothered with the hassle of losing the scope for a while and having to re-zero.

Cheers.

Karl

I'd suggest sending the scope off to Glasgow Binocular repair, as clearly there's a problem. If you want a Zeiss 8x56 to tide you over whilst your scope is being repaired I have one I can send to you.

Dom

Karl

I'd suggest sending the scope off to Glasgow Binocular repair, as clearly there's a problem. If you want a Zeiss 8x56 to tide you over whilst your scope is being repaired I have one I can send to you.

Dom

+1 on what he said, if you leave it it could start to get mouldy from the fog. And SD at its best again well done Dom:tiphat:

Dom,

Thank you - I will give them a call and see how long they say it will be, thank you very much for your kind gesture. I know the scope has been back to S&B before as there was a reciept in the box, I must check this wasn't the same issue, although I think that was a reticule problem.

Is Glasgow Binocular repair better than sending it back to S&B price wise? I guess it's a lot less hassle.

I've tried to add a picture of the fogging - not sure if it will work.

image.jpg

Yes, the photo works.

Looks like there is condensation on the inside of the scope, so some sort of leak along with lack of nitrogen the most likely cause?

Glasgow Scope Repair are well respected and probably easier to deal with, but certainly try S&B first. I've no experience of them but I'm sure others can comment who have experienced their service first-hand.

Try Uttings theyre uk sellers for S n B and should have the ins and outs mine came with 30 years warranty ,so using the serial number they should be able to age it and sort your problem out atb

Thanks for that. I have emailed S&B in the first instance and will see what they say, I have asked for a likely price assuming its just gas and seals. I will then call Glasgow Bino Repair and see what they say. Failing this I will contact Uttings.

Hi, I have just sent my Zenith scope back to S+B It took a little while for S+B to reply to my email, but once contact was made they were fine. Do not use their web site message system, it does not seem to work. Better to email direct to their service department, they replied quickly once this was used, its service@schmidt-bender.de . The courier postage to Germany was not cheap about 40.0 pounds for a DHL 2 day service. I am waiting to see what S+B say about my scope.. hopefully it can be fixed and repair will not be too pricey.

Dave,

Thank you - that's very useful to know, very expensive courier so I will see what Glasgow say, it should only be £8 or so for RMSD. My scope is only worth a few hundred quid so I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on it. Hope they can fix yours up ok.

I can now see why people say Swarovski are the scopes to have, much less hassle if/when it does go wrong.

Honestly, I ignored it! During the summer it was fine, I expect once it gets cold I will notice it again and it will go off to Glasgow Scope Repair.

Back