Countryfile next week - gamekeepers ....?

merlin

Just caught the end of countryfile for the weather, and in the "and on next week's programme " piece, there was a mention of meeting the next generation of gamekeepers (or summat along those lines).

See how that segment goes..... opportunity for a positive conveyance of the role played or a damming condemnation? I'm going to keep an open mind. But let's hope it's the former eh? ;)

....wrong section - but a combination of (a) phone rather than laptop, and (b) sausage fingers

..well I watched this: to me, it came across as a positive positioning of the role gamekeepers play in habitat management, conservation and introducing high quality meat of known provenance into the food chain.

Country file often gets - frequently, quite rightly - some stick about their features, but for once, this was not a fire and brimstone damning of shooting.

..well I watched this: to me, it came across as a positive positioning of the role gamekeepers play in habitat management, conservation and introducing high quality meat of known provenance into the food chain.

Country file often gets - frequently, quite rightly - some stick about their features, but for once, this was not a fire and brimstone damning of shooting.

I watched it too and agree with everything that you said. For once Countryfile showed keepers in a very positive light!

I agree, very positive, but they spent much more time on bloody Angus cows, i'd like to have seen more on the aspects of a keepers work rather than moo moo's.

Still moo moos probably more important to the economy in general than shooting. No matter how highly we rate it. :lol:

David.

The poll shows 92% think the program was not glorifying the killing of animals so it looks like most folk are reasoned and grounded.

Only 8% think the program was awful, my Mrs included, as she hates watching anything too 'gory' on tv or live. Venison comes in little vac packed packages or as sausages!

92% for 8% against at this point
Out of those 8% against I wonder how many of them are vegetarians, animal rights extremists or whatever, or just people who haven't got a clue?
And yes, I have bothered to join the count on the survey in favour of that episode!

Those 8% will be the ones who believe Badgers eat tofu and are happy to batter huntsmen whilst bravely wearing masks .Nice positive people who you,d invite round to tea NOT

Don't be too quick to judge TB. I understand that that nice Mr Putin organizes a very nice sort of tea party in Mayfair hotels...:D

Our nice homegrown people also arrange lovely things in Oxfordshire!!
Quite a good slant on keepering,didn't think the wickerwork around the hazel would deter my deer much though. I often wonder whether these young folk on the courses really know what they are getting into though.Over the years I have seen some really keen hard working kids throw the towel in. Usually with lads it's the fact that they don't have much of a social life,being to knackered at the end of 24/7. Never had a trainee lass but had one Mrs who was very good on the deer front,and could hatch better than me. Trouble was best mate stole her.

judging by the comments that have ben flying around Facebook and twitter, this item on Countryfile hasn't gone down well with the very vocal anti brigade.

the trouble is of course that whilst we may all quietly think that they did a good job, and give them a silent pat on the back, the social media savvy anti side get on to the programme makers directly and voice their concerns in a very obvious way. Given that kind of feedback directly to the programme makers, it would be no surprise if they did not make any more items on this "contentious" subject for fear of losing their audience.
Unfortunately, other than preaching to the choir on this and other shooting forums, we shooters as a group are generally not very vocal about our passions.
The way to get more of this on our screens is to contact the programme directly and say how much you appreciated it, constructive criticism is good and well appreciated by the ones that matter inside the beeb, and for programme makers to have tangible evidence that their hard work was well received goes a long way with getting more programmes about true countryside matters.
the programme email address is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]countryfile@bbc.co.uk
[/FONT]drop them a line and let them know your thoughts.

email sent praising the show

nice one!

to put into a bit more context, shows like Countryfile are made by a very small team of people within a big organisation. Like the general public, there will be a mix of opinions about shooting within that group, most will be ambivalent, a few may be for and a few may be loudly against.
If the only feedback that comes in is from people loudly against featuring shooting, with little coming in supporting it, it would be very difficult for the few that may support shooting to persuade the ambivalent ones of the value in featuring more stories on the subject. Its far easier, and would attract less ire from the organisation bosses, for the small team of individuals making the show to keep the vast (ambivalent) majority of viewers and the vocal anti minority happy with non shooting stories.

I sent my praise for the show last week, I beleive our voice should be heard.

My mrs wasnt much up for shooting and eating game before I got with her, now she will watch me butcher my deer and de breast my pigeon. Just letting her see me do these things slowly over the years and a little explanation she has now become familiar with it and converted ( don't mention fox hunting )

so yes give praise to C F when deserved and I also sign them petitions Why wouldn't i???

craggy

Back