Thread: Hi

Hi, my name is Simon and I am based in Norfolk. Been shooting targets for a few years, relatively new to stalking. I've got a .270 for deer.

Great site, lots of very interesting posts and useful information.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome Simon, lots of good ideas, tips and contacts to be made on here. Using a .270, does that mean you are hoping for the larger species????
    Cheers Jerry

Hi Jerry, that's a good question. Being a novice I was very much dependant on advice from others when deciding what calibre to go with. The choice seemed to be between .243, .270 and .308. I have a friend who stalks with a .270 and recommended it. I wanted something that would cover me for all species. I thought that the .243 might be a little light for larger deer. The .270 is flatter than the .308 so I decided I would buy a second hand rifle and see how I got on with it. I have put a S&B 8 x 56 on it (which I appreciate has some compromises being fixed magnification) but I have stalked with one several times on a .243 and got on well with it.

What is your view of the .270?

Hi Simon. Welcome to the site.
    I've got a .22, .17hmr and a .270. The .270 gets more use than the other 2 . It gets used for long (ish) crows, foxes and roe and reds. Had a .243 wssm previously and found it a wee bit light for stags.
    I've found Norma 110gr ballistic tips work best in mine. Fast and flat.

Thanks for the tip on the bullet weight. I've got some Federal 130grn at the moment. I have got a reloading press and at some point will roll some of my own. Be interesting to experiment and see what works.