Thread: Quik load tutorial needed

Quik load tutorial needed

Well now have new laptop and Quik load re installed. Is there anybody in the Bristol/S West area who could give me a tutorial on it so I can start to make the best of it?

I'm a bit far, but if you are ever in the Banbury area than I'll gladly run you through it.

A few intro vids on Youtube.

QuickLOAD is really easy to use. You can endlessly customise it by changing factor values in the database such as powder burning rates, but IMO that's really wasting effort as it should be regarded instead as a 'super-manual' to reduce load development efforts and round counts, and the rifle still tells you what's happening.

There are three things to do / change / fine-tune on top of the program's default data:

1) Obtain the 'overflow water capacity' of each make of brass you use and for the rifle's chamber. This is obtained by taking a fired unsized case, weighing it, filling it with water level with the case-mouth (tapping to ensure there are no trapped air bubbles inside) and reweigh it to get the weight of the water held therein. If different from the default water capacity, change the value on entering loads data.

2) If necessary, change the default COAL to the actual one in use. Ideally, in fact that should be the COAL for that bullet with its ogive just off the leade rather than the actual COAL which may be determined by magazine length or other reasons.

3) Check actual, as opposed to predicted, results with a chronograph during load development. QL is VERY good, but powder lots can vary considerably from the manufacturer's chemical and other data as supplied to the QL compiler, bullets can be marginally skinnier or fatter than the nominal dimensions and barrels can be slacker or tighter than the CIP / SAAMI default sizes. Bear in mind too that primer choice affects pressures and there is no facility in QL (nor would it be practical) to have a primer choice facility.

The reason for changing program database default values fror 1) and 2) is that the combustion chamber volume is that of a fireformed case and the bullet dimensions / position when ther charge burn is getting under way. There can be a considerable difference between a thick brass / low capacity case and a short throat chamber that needs a bullet to be seated deeply, and long-throat situation where the bullet is almost out of the case-mouth (or even completely out of it) before it is checked or stopped by the start of the rifling.

There are two other facilities I should have mentioned - Propellant Table, and Charge Table. They're both in the toolbar as adjacent click icons, one with pictogram of lines of print with + and - signs below, the other with lines of print and 1,2,3 below.

Once you've selected your cartridge and bullet, input barrel length, COAL, and water capacity (if changing the defaults), clicking on the Propellant Table produces an input box with two sets of sliders to select a range of powder burning rates (just go to maximum for each until you understand the ranges of Ba values), the maximum case fill-ratio you want use (100% = full but not compressed load, up to 105% is mildly compressed and so on) and the maximum chamber pressure you want to model. (The default is always set very low - so take the SAAMI / CIP max and knock say 2,000 or 3,000 psi off which makes 308 Win 58,000 psi as an example). QL will then produce a long list of suitable propellants in MV order starting at the highest.

The other (Charge Table) is for use once you've set up a particular combination for a cartridge and applied enter ('Click & Calc), let's say 308 Win with a 150gn Sierra and 45gn Viht N140. You get a screen output telling you the predicted MV, ME, % of charge burned etc for the combination. If you want to explore that load further, double-click on the Charge Table icon and you'll get a table with 15 lines of ouput varying the charge weight both below your input in fixed steps and above so you get a feel for lower work-up charges to use and cazn also see how close you are to reaching / exceeding allowed maximum pressures. You can change the step values too to suit what you want, but the default is good enough to start on.

Thanks so much for that just had a quick play for my .204 ruger and my .223 very helpful, just need to get out and shoot some.

Thanks again