Could anyone recommend a taxidermist for shoulder mounts please?

Ronny

Can any of you established members recommend a quality taxidermist in the UK who has shoulder mounted deer for you please? I am particularly keen to hear about the condition after a couple of years as I have seen some dreadful deterioration in some. Any photos most appreciated also. Thanks

Try Dawn Warr. I've not seen anything that big that she has done, though.
Paul Taylor is on here, I think, but I've never seen any of his work. Both of them are fairly close.

Myself and friends have had lots of work done by Paul Taylor and can't praise it enough it's always been excellent,from birds too large reds brilliant.Give him a ring before you go and see the works in progress in his work shop.Fascinating.

Hi Ronny, As far as I am concerned the best is worth his money; and the best is Paul G Taylor. I have seen some brilliant work of his from all over the world and all species. Contact him at ' The Old Bunching Shed, Watery Lane, Tincleton, Puddletown, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 8QP' Telephone/Fax 01305 848952 Mobile 07966553185
He always has work in progress and some which he has held for a long while, well worth a visit. I have seen full size Tiger and Black Bear, all species of deer from the UK, and many from Africa etc. He also does fish and birds. Hope this helps Jerry

Last edited:
Colin Dunton

+1 on Colin, who is based near Pewsey in Wiltshire.

Colin mounted did this roe buck for me some years ago. These photos were taken in the last 30 minutes, and you can see that it's just as fresh today as when it was first completed:

NKN_5470_zpstsgul1iq.jpg

NKN_5472_zpsxcrod2fa.jpg

NKN_5473_zpswev8cico.jpg

I've included a close up of the eye, as this seems to be one of the areas that degrades as taxidermy ages.

Colin's website can be found here: Colin Dunton Ltd : Taxidermists for hunters, collectors and museums

I would strongly recommend having a look at several different taxidermists and finding one whose work you like for the specific species of animal that you want mounted. I don't believe that there's any such thing as the "best" taxidermist, since not only is "best" a subjective measure but much of the beauty with taxidermy is in the eye of the beholder. Some want straight forward shoulder mounts, others might look for a more animated pose. Only you know what appeals to you.

For example for the muntjac I had mounted I went to Dave Hornbrook in Cleveland, as I like the way he does muntjac. This is a photo that is on his website from when the buck was first mounted:

http://www.taxidermists.co.uk/img/dht_110404/muntjac_head.jpg

And here are some taken earlier today:

NKN_5479_zpslqrpwwmh.jpg

NKN_5476_zpsutx0rkf3.jpg

As you can see with the eye, whilst there is a fair amount of dust there has been no degradation in the taxidermy. This buck was shot at probably just about the worst time from a taxidermy perspective - as it was moulting into summer coat - but Dave did a great job preserving as much of the coat as possible.

Where I do agree is that it is worth paying for good taxidermy. If you're going to spend money on getting an animal mounted then you're going to have it on the wall for some time. Better to go with a taxidermist whose work will last than to save a few bob and then find it looking ragged and moth-eaten in four or five years time.

You're welcome to see either of the above mounts "in the flesh" if you happen to passing the Swindon/Oxford area.

Does no-one else have any photos of taxidermy work they've had done??

It's great hearing about a taxidermist, but a photo would be useful to see the quality of the work they've completed for a regular punter, rather than the showcase stuff on their web pages.

If your in Dorset my advice is Colin Dunton or Greg Keeble. Both are not to far away.

Go to Dave Hollingworth at Pennine Taxidermy Studios He knows his stuff, and has produced some crackers for some of my clients .

Back