5 shot shotgun

deerhunter270

Can a 5 shot semi automatic shotgun be used for clay pigeon and if so does it have to have that condition on your FAC

Yes they can and yes it will have to be conditioned,I doubt you will get clay pigeon as the primary "need" though,try tactical targets or winged vermin control.

Only just got my renewal back and had asked for clays but not as a primary need they gave me shooting birds in accordance with the purpose,terms and conditions of the general license issued by SNH , along with all lawful quarry would the last bit allow me to shoot clays ?

Only just got my renewal back and had asked for clays but not as a primary need they gave me shooting birds in accordance with the purpose,terms and conditions of the general license issued by SNH , along with all lawful quarry would the last bit allow me to shoot clays ?
Not down here it wouldnt,it would have to be "can also be used for clay pigeon shooting".

Yes it would need to be conditioned which should be added automatically when you get the shotgun for its main purpose.

most clay grounds insist that no more than two in it at one time i have a 4 shot and got a good telling off at the game fair some years ago for filling it on the rabbit shoot the man with the buttons stood on my right and got hit with the empties he was not a happy bunny lol
taz

pretty sure they are supposed to condition for clay as std think its in HO guidance

yes page 231 Guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/479794/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_Nov_2015_v16.pdf

1. Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)• The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR andammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete asappropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable bythe chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder haslawful authority to shoot.(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence.There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

Automatic Condition for Section 1 Shotguns for Clay Pigeon Shooting (once“good reason” for possession has been demonstrated)

• The *calibre SMOOTH-BORE GUN may also be used for CLAY PIGEON SHOOTING.

Last edited:
Section 1 s/a and p/a shotguns may be used on my local clay ground but can only be loaded with a max. of two cartridges at a time.
So maybe the Law allows it, but many clay ground operators don't.

I've seen them used but some clubs get twitchy about them, as a result of the possibility of people walking off the stand with a round still up the spout if they fully load the mag.

The 28 Day'ers I'm a member at is fine with people using FAC shotguns and charging them right up, but it is a bit more informal. The other "proper" club I'm a member at has a policy of an immediate revocation of membership if you load more than 2 cartridges into a semi-auto or pump gun.

So legally yes you can do it (assuming paperwork is in order to do so) but check with the club manager to see if they have a specific policy on multi-shot shotguns.

Section 1 s/a and p/a shotguns may be used on my local clay ground but can only be loaded with a max. of two cartridges at a time.
So maybe the Law allows it, but many clay ground operators don't.

same as smoking then its legal for you do do it but I wont allow it in my house as my rule

Back