European firearms legislation and CA 'call to action'

kes

I have been sent an e-mail as folows from the CA - it fronts a F.A.C.E. attempt to reduce the impact of the proposed European legislation on firearm users in this Country. Please read and act as you see fit - I have responded to my MEP and currently there are 17,000 signatures of support.
[FONT=arial, helvetica neue, helvetica, sans-serif]A call to action on firearms [/FONT]

You may have heard about the proposed amendments to the EU Firearms Directive and the potentially adverse consequences for legal firearm users in the UK. This might seem technical and obscure, but it is of vital importance to anyone who shoots. We have been working hard to get our views across to the Home Office, MPs and MEPs, making sure everyone is aware of the negative impacts these proposals could have on the shooting community. For example, it is painfully obvious that restricting the use of firearms by under-18s will have no effect on reducing terrorism, but will leave our children without the shooting opportunities that many of us enjoyed growing up, and make it harder for people to get into shooting.

We need to show our strength in numbers to ensure these proposals have no effect on law abiding firearms owners in the UK. As such we are asking that you follow this link and register your disagreement with the proposed amendments. Your views will be sent directly to your regional MEPs, and you should expect a response.

Closer to home, this week has seen the publication of a new Policing and Crime Bill. Once approved by the Government this Bill will include a number of beneficial changes to the current UK Firearm Laws, a positive step towards simplifying and updating our some of the obsolete and obscure parts of firearms legislation. The Countryside Alliance believes however that this is a golden opportunity to go further, and we will now begin a process to push for further changes to be made, changes that will improve firearms legislation for UK shooters and, most importantly, reduce the burden of administration upon both shooters and the police without any risk to public safety.

With your help we can make sure burdensome new firearms laws are not enacted and wherever possible existing laws can be streamlined and made more user friendly. If you support our position then be sure to lobby your MEP and, if not already a member, consider joining the Countryside Alliance here.

Tim Bonner
Chief Executive
Follow on Twitter @CA_TimB

Surprised it wasnt a BASC letter to all shooters - no I wasnt, maybe the voice of shooting is now the CA !

Sometimes I am sure there is no point, 3 responses.
Apathy at its most spectacular.

As with all situations like this many members would no doubt prefer to use a standard format letter to send to their MP. Perhaps we should consider a group response by setting up a petition on the gov site too? It's not always apathy but sometimes everyday life gets in the way of people "getting around to it"

I think the normal apathy is more like it low response when you think how many BASC members there are do nothing because I don't have or use a semi auto so doesn't effect me, then when a ban comes it's an infringement on our liberty, unelected eurorats make decisions about our country etc etc.

Did the CA emailing to my regional MEP's thing when it was first published. The responses were a generic, bland copy and paste exercise from all of them bar one - the UKIP response was actually engaging and asked for further feedback once the EU's proposals were more advanced.

Got this one back today

, I will not support over-regulation and a knee-jerk reaction.

Yours sincerely,

Catherine Bearder MEP

Liberal Democrat member of the European Parliament forthe South East of England Constituency Office
27 Park End Street
Oxford
OX1 1HU
+44 1865 249838
www.bearder.eu

Please do respond to this email campaign, and ensure our MEP's are under no doubt that these sorts of restrictions are not wanted here and will do nothing at all to help anyone.

Thanks Kes for posting the link, but before you do your pointless snipe at BASC have the common decency to check your facts , BASC was pushing out press releases and emails and web alerts on this issue since before Christmas...

All the organisations involved in this are, to a greater or lesser extent, pushing this online form to their members, we are working together on this as you will al see when you visit the web sites

David

Please do respond to this email campaign, and ensure our MEP's are under no doubt that these sorts of restrictions are not wanted here and will do nothing at all to help anyone.

Thanks Kes for posting the link, but before you do your pointless snipe at BASC have the common decency to check your facts , BASC was pushing out press releases and emails and web alerts on this issue since before Christmas...

All the organisations involved in this are, to a greater or lesser extent, pushing this online form to their members, we are working together on this as you will al see when you visit the web sites

David

I dont snipe at BASC - there is no need. Worthwhile pun though.
I am not a member but have seen nothing, so presumed nothing had happened, since I do look wider than could be called mere prejudice. I am glad to hear BASC are doing something.
Whether or not we are members, 'we are where we are' and its a parlous state in my view, not something I am proud of - hence the post, anything but pointless.
Make BASC worth a positive comment and I'll make one, as you well know I have elsewhere.

Back