CNBC - Freesat 210 - Remington (700) Under Fire...8pm 15/02

enfieldspares

This is on now, so a bit late unless you are in and "at home". maybe available on You Tube? Entitled "Remington Under Fire" it documents problems with the Remington 700 rifle. Don't know the air date...but seems worth a watch.

Last edited:
I think this is an old one and has been discussed on here and other places many times before. How you interpret this depends whether you believe Remington who put it down to a lack of or inappropriate maintenance and trigger adjustment and those who say it just happened.

I have a 700 and was concerned the 1st time I saw this. I've tried to get mine to "misfire" and haven't been able to replicate what is described on the videos.

On an empty chamber with the bolt down, I've hit the butt on the floor and tapped the side of the stock. Loaded and pointed at a safe backstop I have tried clicking the safety off and on repeatedly, tapping the stock etc. all to no effect. I've never adjusted the trigger though.

Hard though it is none of the accidents would have happened if the 1st rule of rifle safety had been adhered to.

American triggers have a tendency to leave the factory as some kind of 9lb beast to avoid this kind of liability threat, so you are really forced to go tinker with the trigger or spend more dough on an aftermarket.

The Remington 700 trigger is easily adjusted down from that but I suspect that's the bulk of the problem.

Doing the kind of test Sellars indicates is a standard part of any trigger work I home smith now.

I own a Model 700, bought new in 1967, with the original trigger. I left it at 4 lbs for 20 years, then adjusted it to 3 lbs. It has been all over, in trucks, planes, horse scabbards, at least 1,000 rounds through it, and never misfired. Can't make it misfire. I have several other older Model 700s, totally reliable.

This CNBC rehash is part of the Hillary Clinton campaign, to bolster one of her planks: to "hold gun manufacturers responsible", not just for poor design, but for stupid misuse, and criminal misuse.

Back