how long to keep calling foxes before you move on.

Heym SR20

I successfully called in a Fox on Saturday - it was about Midday and was talking the dog for a walk, but took the rifle just on case. Spotted a fox 200 yds away going over a drystone wall. Got onto the fox call and about five minutes later I spotted her sitting watching me about 100 yds away. Needless to say she received a 7mm bullet through the white bib and won't be taking any lambs.

I have often given a few squeaks on a fox call but if I haven t seen any thing a few moments I move on - but probably in most cases too short a time.

Foxes when they are out hunting are constantly on the move. many years ago I pursued them on foot over hill and dale, today I go out prepared to wait for perhaps 2-3 hours and in fox country it's very unusual not to see at least one in that time.I'm no longer a "numbers" man so waiting and picking up the odd one or two suits me just fine.
If you have the patience they will eventually come to you, you needn't keep calling either wait till you spot one and then start. Of course having a thermal to spot with make a huge difference.

I once sat out for 4 hours on 1 fox,

I knew it was the one I wanted as it had a short tail, very cold night..so cold that I had ice inside the windows on the truck, any way I got it and that was my first fox with a digital caller,

I now sit for as long as it takes, but should nothing show then I move off slowly, its happened a few times that I have moved only to start the engine and see Charlie looking back at me as I revers away.

they are smart and if they have any doubts they will not come in so wrap up and keep up the waiting times.

bob.

I've waited ages for one when needed, but if there's no sign of anything, I generally give it about 15 or 20 minutes before moving on.

same as paddy for me really if after 30 mins of calling using couple of calls (all hand calls for me as im not into the digital ones) and nothings showed up i move on what i think is more important tho is trying to get somwhere where you can be reasonably certain a fox wont creep up behind you where you will spook it without even knowing youve done it and educate the fox

A bit of a open question as through out the whole year they react different, you only shoot them once.

Dopey half grown cubs are easy picking where a time served dog fox will sit and not budge!

Shot 2 dog foxes last week in wheat fields they both laid down and just watched, never budged one bit to a call.
They were caught out in the open and both were head shot out around 150/160. A vixen 2 nights ago just sat and looked from 120 yards.
Not cold enough for them as they were all fat and well...

I only walk and shoot so I will make a few calls with a home made caller, but will also keep calling while I am walking towards while closing down the distance.

Had a few come out looking when using a Roe caller for Muntjac....

Tim.243

what do you guys call them with? ive never called them, I flush them with a beagle. It seams like lots of sitting and waiting using the calls! I thought it was quicker

what do you guys call them with? ive never called them, I flush them with a beagle. It seams like lots of sitting and waiting using the calls! I thought it was quicker

I use a Foxpro Scorpion - we took 355 foxes last year, most of which were brought in by it, so it does work well.:)

i either use my hand (o dear that does sound rude) or i use a call that you would blow the same as you would a duck call or similar

ok, no one calls them here. I will look into those calls. maybe i will give it a go one of these days just for fun as shooting season is just about done where i am from

Hand squeaking is fine for the foxes you can see, but the problem is with those that you can't - all the wise ones will simply go around on the wind and sneak up behind you, sniff human, and then disappear without you ever knowing they were there.

How long do you fish before changing fly or tactic?
same thing really

if I am calling a fox I can see and it is not reacting, keep changing until it responds

If its a call to bring in a fox, 20 mins or so, change or move

while we are on the subject of fox calls, has anyone ever tried calling with a cut straw? I was researching fox calls and found one where a guys simple gets about 3cm of a drinking straw cuts the end to a taper and blows it.
I dont think you can get cheaper than that.

Last edited:
That's a pretty impressive number of foxes for a year paddy, I'm up in the Highlands and you wouldn't believe the amount of blank nights/early mornings we have just to catch a glimpse of one.

That's a pretty impressive number of foxes for a year paddy, I'm up in the Highlands and you wouldn't believe the amount of blank nights/early mornings we have just to catch a glimpse of one.

Thank you - we worked, very, very hard to achieve it - we'd have had even more if the weather hadn't closed in around the end of September. We were still out most nights, but saw very little. It's also worth bearing in mind that only one of the 355 was shot from a truck - and that was only because I needed to rest on the roof to see over the hedge. The rest were shot from 'on foot', using sticks.

Back