Help with scopes.

Good evening guys,

Its a pretty simply question for some of you i know, just want a little help so i can get some ordered up.

Im looking at renewing the scopes on my .22lr .17HMR and my .243 once I've picked the rifle.

at the min I'm thinking
Leupold Vx1 2-7x33 for the .22lr
Leupold Vx1 3-9x40 for the .17HMR

and for the .243 Do i order another 3-9x40? or the 4-12x40 or the 3-9x50

any help would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Whilst the newer VX1 scopes will handle being on a centre fire, they will not give the same optical performance as something like the VX3. If you can only stretch to the VX1, you should go for the 3-9 x 50 which will perform better at low light.
MS

What are the models of the rifles?

What kind of game do you hunt? What kind of target shooting do you do?

How do you use your rifles? At what range? Stalking or from a blind or high seat?

Do you shoot a lot in daylight, or at dawn and dusk, or at night?

I have VX 1 3-9x40 on my 270. very happy with it. The scope is about 10 years old and has seen a lot of work without any issues.
Tusker

Whilst the newer VX1 scopes will handle being on a centre fire, they will not give the same optical performance as something like the VX3. If you can only stretch to the VX1, you should go for the 3-9 x 50 which will perform better at low light.
MS

Ok thank you, I'll look into the vx3.

What are the models of the rifles?

What kind of game do you hunt? What kind of target shooting do you do?

How do you use your rifles? At what range? Stalking or from a blind or high seat?

Do you shoot a lot in daylight, or at dawn and dusk, or at night?

Both rimfires are CZ 452 the 243 isn't brought yet.

243 will be used for stalking and also high seat, and mostly daylight but dawn and dusk too.

The 243 you could go for an 8x56 s+b which will do all you need for stalking

what scopes do u currently have on the rimfires

I have a Leupold 2-7x33mm, an older one, and it is a great scope. Very compact, and looks good on a small rifle in walnut and polished blue steel. But it is a big game scope, with parallax set for 100 yards.

If you are going to shoot beyond 75 yards with your .22 LR, I would suggest a dedicated .22 scope with bullet drop stadia, like the Burris 2-7x35, Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm, or the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x35 or 3-9x40 with BDC and tactical turrets for the rimfire. Nikon also makes a 3-9x40 EFR with BDC, for .22 and airguns. That would be nice on your .17. Bushnell Banner 3-9x36 AO with .22 LR and .17 turrets is plenty good for rimfire work.

A premium rimfire scope without BDC is the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR...about $400, though.

I would suggest not buying them all at once. Buy something like a Vortex, Burris FF2 with BDC or the Nikon above and try it on all three rifles, then settle it on one and shop for the next one when you know more of what features you need.

Last edited:
Leupold aren't renowned for their low light performance,whist adequate for your rimfires,I would look at a dedicated stalking scope,the S&B 8x56 as mentioned,would be ideal.

Leupold aren't renowned for their low light performance,whist adequate for your rimfires,I would look at a dedicated stalking scope,the S&B 8x56 as mentioned,would be ideal.
+1
I'd swerve the Leup's as they are not on par with the German or Hungarian kit. I've found the Leup a bit marmite.
.22lr you can get away with something relatively cheap as you don't need the optic clarity at the ranges they operate in.

Ok sounds like a good idea with buying 1 and going from there.

I've found the leupold at a good price online hense the reason for looking into them, i have 2 nikon sterlings at the min 1 is 3-9x42 and 1 is 3-14x50 so way over kill really, i wont be doing any target shooting so won't be any major long shots etc.

thanks of the help.

I have a Leupold 2-7x33mm, an older one, and it is a great scope. Very compact, and looks good on a small rifle in walnut and polished blue steel. But it is a big game scope, with parallax set for 100 yards.

If you are going to shoot beyond 75 yards with your .22 LR, I would suggest a dedicated .22 scope with bullet drop stadia, like the Burris 2-7x35, Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm, or the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x35 or 3-9x40 with BDC and tactical turrets for the rimfire. Nikon also makes a 3-9x40 EFR with BDC, for .22 and airguns. That would be nice on your .17. Bushnell Banner 3-9x36 AO with .22 LR and .17 turrets is plenty good for rimfire work.

A premium rimfire scope without BDC is the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR...about $400, though.

I would suggest not buying them all at once. Buy something like a Vortex, Burris FF2 with BDC or the Nikon above and try it on all three rifles, then settle it on one and shop for the next one when you know more of what features you need.

Back