Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stinging nettles

stinging nettles

I think my dog got stung on his belly the weekend out shooting with me, his belly is basicly bald, is there a cream or something I could put on to prevent this, I got stung myself by some small nettles crawling frew the hedge and they are still very hot, mine were still tingling 24hrs after, being stung on the belly wouldn't of been very nice for sure, a mate suggested putting sudo cream on after which I did.i tried some on mine too, it did help but a prevention would be better than a cure, thoughts please swaro
    Last edited by swarovski; 17-02-2016 at 08:28.

Stay out of them. Had the same problem when I had my Weimaraner, she eventually refused to go near nettles and picked her way round them. Probably a thin overcoat is your best answer for the dog if you regularly go through brush/ nettles.

My Cocker bitch suffers quite badly from nettle stings on her pads and on her belly when we're beating / picking up.

I give her a 10mg piriton tablet an hour before we go out (having checked this with my vet & he approved) and at days end I wash her feet first then use witch hazel solution (from Boots, cheap as chips).

These two together definitely help - but they do not eliminate the problem altogether.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

is it not a bit early for nettles? sure arnt none here!

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    There could be thousands of the wee buggers growing away underneath all this snow......
    I can resist everything, except temptation.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Dock leaves yet.

Hi, even when they have died back the very tip still stings, one drive we pick up on they are over a meter high brown stalk but still have a sting on the top. As said Dock leaf's always grow beside nettle's.

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    Not down South.
    It doesn`t get cold enough to kill all the undergrowth off down here.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

My 10 month old BGS Heidi loves them, can't keep her out of them bloody things.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports