Necessary exercise for the over 60's

We sat in a couple of seats yesterday from about 3:45 or so, but by 5:15 I was starting to get a bit cold.

Then suddenly, on the edge of the wood ... right where I'd just glassed and seen nothing ... a group of 5 fallow materialized - just like that - and I warmed right up again :)

No rush, they were looking straight at me but that seat is all camo and netting - and my head looks like a leafy basketball - so I eventually got the gun up and shot a prickett.

Good heart shot, but the b$gger still ran 100+yds back into the wood. I had to stop dragging every few yards to clear the leaf litter that was building up ahead of him and I did once back into a tree (I drag backwards with my German jaw hook and strap), but I finally got it over the ditch and had it gralloched by the time The Chief turned up on the quad.

A good bit of cardio exercise !!

More soon I hope ... they seem to be coming out now a bit more than they were.

In the USA, heart attacks by out of shape gents dragging deer is the #2 killer during hunting season (falling from tree stands/high seats is #1). Being accidentally shot is quite far down the list.

You made that up didn't you :D

John

In the USA, heart attacks by out of shape gents dragging deer is the #2 killer during hunting season (falling from tree stands/high seats is #1). Being accidentally shot is quite far down the list.

If I haven't been very active during the day, I do a brisk walk round the block. It used to take me 45 minutes for the 2.9 miles, but since breaking my ankle nearly 3 years ago, and putting on almost a stone in weight, it now takes me 48 minutes. Pulling a wheelbarrow of logs 200 yards and then splitting them when I get them home on alternate days adds a bit more. Next year this time, I'll be 70.

Since having heart trouble and having stents fitted I try to get as much gentle exercise and fresh air as I can. This usually consists of a good long walk around one of my permissions daily, usually about an hour to an hour and a half at least. I believe that this helps to keep me in "as reasonable shape as possible".
However I still notice it can be a bit of strain on my heart and lungs on the few occasions when I have to do a "recovery" through the woods on my own. I have learned through experience that when my heart starts pounding "a bit too fast for my liking" or I start to feel a bit breathless during a "recovery" it is best to sit down for a few minutes to allow things to settle and call the wife straight away to let her know that I am OK but going to be late home and the reason why. I then phone her every now and then afterwards to let her know that I am still OK and tell her EXACTLY where I am each time I phone.
It pays to play safe when your are out stalking alone, especially if you are not the fittest, healthiest or strongest of people!
Take care Old-Yup!

Being accidentally shot is quite far down the list.

Exactly the opposite in Russia, probably mostly due to the amounts of friendly alcohol consumed *before* everyone loads up and starts waving guns around.

Which is why my (Russian) wife makes me turn down every invitation I get to go and play over there!

And thanks FrenchieBoy, same to you. Like JTO I'll be 70 this time next year and have no intention of packing it in while I can still usefully do the work.

But in ten years time at 80? That's proper old, isn't it? What then?

You need to be scouting around for a 'youngster' to bring on in the stalking world. In exchange for your years of wisdom, the possibility of taking on your permissions and maybe inheriting a decent scope they can do the grunt work? It's a model that works for me and I've only just turned 60...:D

Pah proper old my father in law,s 88 and still driving ,fit as a fiddle .Her indoors and me both think he,l see us out ,eats what he wants does what he wants and has no truk with boring old farts as he calls pensioners .Keep going lads your only as old the woman you feel though she may slap you if you feel the wrong bit:norty:

You made that up didn't you :D

John

Unfortunately not John. Each year we keep hearing the positive side - fewer and fewer firearms related accidents, but increasing numbers of other accidents. All tree stands in the US are now required to be sold with a safety harness. We also get continued warnings about heart attacks.

as a general rule, our rifle seasons for deer are Nov-Dec, when there is also a chance of snow on the ground and/or wet and muddy condition. Add to that the aging of the hunting population, and our well earned reputation for not being the most physically fit country, and also factor in stress/excitement of the hunt/kill and we come to this as an increasing problem.

Well mother nature has made sure that I will not have a heart attack dragging out a beast, I can't walk unaided anymore :D. I am completely knackered now and stalking is a very fond memory, but I do have the Tee shirt and the knowledge of having been there and done that. We have moved down from the Highlands to the warmth of Lincolnshire and I am for the first time for donkeys year without rifles, but strangely I am getting used to it. I'm planning an air rifle corvid culler to keep the garden vermin free to keep me occupied, all future venison will have to be bought in how weird is that. Without your legs stalking is a bit tricky!
I have learned that it comes to us all you just have to work with it and find alternative hobbies/pursuits and don't just sit about on your rear end. I am looking into mobility scooter racing :D :old:

John

Unfortunately not John. Each year we keep hearing the positive side - fewer and fewer firearms related accidents, but increasing numbers of other accidents. All tree stands in the US are now required to be sold with a safety harness. We also get continued warnings about heart attacks.

as a general rule, our rifle seasons for deer are Nov-Dec, when there is also a chance of snow on the ground and/or wet and muddy condition. Add to that the aging of the hunting population, and our well earned reputation for not being the most physically fit country, and also factor in stress/excitement of the hunt/kill and we come to this as an increasing problem.

Well mother nature has made sure that I will not have a heart attack dragging out a beast, I can't walk unaided anymore :D. I am completely knackered now and stalking is a very fond memory, but I do have the Tee shirt and the knowledge of having been there and done that. We have moved down from the Highlands to the warmth of Lincolnshire and I am for the first time for donkeys year without rifles, but strangely I am getting used to it. I'm planning an air rifle corvid culler to keep the garden vermin free to keep me occupied, all future venison will have to be bought in how weird is that. Without your legs stalking is a bit tricky!
I have learned that it comes to us all you just have to work with it and find alternative hobbies/pursuits and don't just sit about on your rear end. I am looking into mobility scooter racing :D :old:

John
Make sure that the Mobility Scooter is fitted with AT Tyres and 4WD John mate, you don't want to get "bogged down" and have to get a Land Rover to pull you out do you mate!:rofl:
Seriously though, you are quite right, the years catch up with all of us eventually, and none of us are getting any younger. I once went to listen to an American Evangelist some thirty years ago and the only thing that I car clearly remember him saying is one sentence which has always stuck in my mind - "An idle mind is the Devils workshop" so a "back up hobby" is a great thing to have for when the "advancing years" start to catch up with you!

You need to be scouting around for a 'youngster' to bring on in the stalking world. In exchange for your years of wisdom, the possibility of taking on your permissions and maybe inheriting a decent scope they can do the grunt work? It's a model that works for me and I've only just turned 60...:D

".......patience Grasshopper, patience......" ;)

download.jpg

I heard a of a lovely comment made to a Doctor. I believe this happened in the US the guy at the doctors is active at work and at home as they have a small homestead (Small holding) with some livestock and they grow what they can veggies wise but it seem he is a big chappie and not slim so the doctor say you need to get in shape. To which he says what is wrong with my shape ..... round is a shape!

It appears the doctor was a bit stunned and had no real answer
:D.

It also seems that this out of shape guy does a lot of hunting and that requires lots of walking and where he lives it is not flat in fact it is what we in the UK would call mountainous so he can hardly be that unfit!. Unlike me. So perhaps I will go take a short walk.

80 all depends on how fit you are, I wouldn't put a timescale on as and when to retire, just accept you may have to change what and where you shoot.
Not stalking but My 71 yr old dad went walked up grouse shooting in Scotland with 4 mates 10-15 yrs younger, at the end of the day he took their turns up front as they not cope with the walking and my grandfather shot his last woodcock at 85 and last Pheasant at 87 and know another guy 96 just passed away who shot until he was 92 and up to last season did the game cart.
Plenty of guys in the beating line where I go in their 70's and an 80 yr old will retire from our line to go picking up when he's too old for beating :)
I find the ratio of young women on a shoot helps keep the old guys young enough to keep comming out.

Have just been feral goat and pig hunting on the Big Island of Hawaii with a friend who is 68 and a youngster of 25 that we started when he was 15. He has turned into a great hunting partner, strong back, knows hoe to think on his feet and cheerfully accepts our words of wisdom/advice. I'm only 62 and hope to be hunting for another 10-20 years but the youngster may take over a large role. We did harvest 2 goats and 4 pigs incidentally.

Back