What do you carry in your stalking bag?

FrenchieBoy

Here's an interesting question and talking point for the more experienced stalkers amongst you:
I have just bought a new rucksack to carry my stalking gear in so everything is "at hand when I need it". Up till now I have been having to put all my gear into my game bag before I go stalking and then take it all back out again when I get back! The idea is that whenever I want to go stalking all I should need to do is to get my rifle, moderator and ammunition out and be able to pick up my rucksack and know I have everything I ought to need for a "woodland stalk".
As well as the usual knives, gloves, binoculars, etc; what other "essential kit" do you feel should be carried in a stalking bag without it being over heavy or too bulky?

I have a fishing carryall which is my Shooting bag. In here I carry all my often used kit for shooting, be it game, deer, or wildfowl etc. I got so fed up with a different bag for each type of shooting, now I simply grab this and off I go. I then leave it in the truck and just take out what I need.

It has a pocket for knives, drag straps etc, a pocket for calls, a pocket for gloves and wipes, antisceptic spray,and dog 1st aid, a front pcket for gloves, hats and necks, and the main pocket has a couple of pocket guides, bipod, binos, ammo, bolt, etc, etc

When I'm staking I HATE a rucksack so opt for pockets,and travel as light as I can without being under gunned. Binos around neck, a pocket with knife gloves, bag for offal and a few wipes, a pocket with phone. Rifle slung on my back and hands free for sticks.

Works for me.

I don't have a stalking bag as such just my jacket pockets , but generally acouple of knives ( mora or opinel no 6 ) a couple of s hooks , spare full magazine , short length of rope , little bottle of hand sanatizer , and some binos , mobile phone and that's it a lot of people may carry more but I've found that works for me

Last edited:
I take along; hand wash gel, torch, length of cord, ziplock bags, small cable ties, kitchen paper roll, long pvc gloves, saw for sternum, knives of course, couple of HD bin bags (for feet etc and pluck possibly), pen and notebook.

A small first aid kit, wipes in a re-sealable plastic bag (sandwich type). Whistle to summon help. If large woodland, a compass. Folding gambrel and length of paracord. If going out before dawn or at last light, a head-light. Mobile phone in your pocket.
If larger species, a small set of pulleys in the bag.

First aid kitSurvival bag
Knife
Small sharpenerr
Disposal latex gloves
Lenght of rope
Insulating tape (to cover moderator)
Binos
Bore snake

Couple of mora knives, bladetech sharpener, small packet of wipes, big sandwich bag for offal, small sandwich bag for gloves, whistle and med kit, tick card, small torch, tiny head torch for gralloch in the dark, spare rounds in a pouch. Roe sack if it's small deer, plus a couple of giant plastic bags in super heavyweight plastic (get a couple of roe in one, they're super tough and fold small, tie the end and you get no blood in your roe sack or vehicle).

Plus a bogroll if it was that kind of night beforehand.

As i only have roe ground i carry a knife and a folded up ikea bag in my pockets. Binos round my neck, sticks in hand and rifle on shoulder. Job done. Anything else on my person I find just gets in the road and is unnecessary.

Rucksack: Water, warm kit, torch, folding gambrel, rope, spare gloves, food, FAC, maps and written consents.

Smock: knife, rangefinder, nitril gloves, extra rounds, phone, bar of choc, head torch.

If I,m going to a highseat the rucksack stays with my car. If I'm walking then it comes along. I have ground in Lincs where prone shots aren't available but sitting on the rucksack with tripod sticks works well. The little block I have in Scotland can be walked in a day so I tend to stay out all day in the winter. Rucksack is very necessary then

Don't carry a roe sack when out stalking, (it stays in the motor) but another vote for ensuring I have an ikea bag in my pocket.

M

Everyone starts off carrying a bag, but as you gain more experience, you soon come to realise that you are carrying a load of stuff that you never actually really need!
A decent jacket with large pockets is all you really need and keeps your shoulders free from obstruction.
Rifle & ammo, Bino's, Sticks, Range finder (if not already built into bino's!), knife, mobile phone, compass, map, head torch, length of para cord, toilet paper/wet wipes, S hook and small gambrel.
That's about all I carry normally and the rest stays in the vehicle.
The large 'Bum Bags' are very good as they keep your shoulders free. Carrying extra weight that you do not need is neither good for performance or health.
MS

Hate carrying 'bags' as in rucksacks etc. what do I have in my pockets? Length of braided drag rope that can also be used for suspending Roe deer from fence posts etc for an easier gralloch, spare ammo, gralloching knife, mini first aid kit, range finder (Leupold), plastic gloves, butt out tool, head torch, fold up reading spectacles, mobile phone. Think that's it!

Kitchen sink,several knives, change of clothing, inflatable bed, ammo , spare rifle, water, spot light, spare bulbs, porta loo , inflatable doll( in case I need to find a old deer) operating theatre, gps, satellite phone , pack of gloves, climbing rope, pulley system , stainless steel hanging system, winch, three course meal , red wine, by the time I,ve packed all this I can,t be bothered to go stalking.

I use a small, cheap bumbag with a Yool sack tucked in behind it for walks around the woods etc. & keep it ready to go with a small knife, tiny whetstone, small first aid kit, toilet paper, insulating tape, couple of plastic bags, latex gloves, snacks (for me & the dog) & the 3 allen keys required to tighten (or loosen) anything on my rifle if required, a push/pull through plus a head torch & a small amount of para-cord. A photocopied boundary map lives there too & I pop my certificate in on packing.

I then drop this plus binos, ammo, bolt & magazine in a roe-sack (just to keep everything together) & grab the rifle & sticks & am then good to go. A suitable hat & gloves live in the roe sack. The roe-sack stays in the car when I'm stalking, although as an aside I now use the roe-sack when rough shooting as it's so much more comfortable to carry than a game bag.

I would prefer to take a small backpack if heading to the hills or very wild ground or expecting to be more than 5 miles from the vehicle and might need to have some waterproofs available & perhaps more food.

Obviously I carry a fully charged mobile phone & someone knows where I'm going & when I expect to return.

Last edited:
Gun, Sticks. Phone on silent, 4-5 rounds, small length of soft rope.

From my point of view it is all relative to your ground...

Unless you turn up on the number 19 bus then the rest of the stuff will be in the truck........

However reading some replies you would think they are off to take back Port Stanley...:doh:

Tim.243

Pointless retaking Port Stanley ,J Corbyn esqueer wishes to return it to the people of Argentina even though the British people who live there dont want to.And Argentina has never run,owned or done anything for the islands other than very briefly provided them a war zone as the idiots thought we would walk away

Back