Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feathered quarry with a rifle?

Feathered quarry with a rifle?

What's the story with shooting feathered quarry whether vermin or game with a rifle?

obviously on the ground chaps before you take the piss

If its on your conditions within your certificate then you are ok, if not you are not ok. Ok?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it, I remember one person saying that he uses his .223 on geese, hopefully you'd be able to take a few before they take flight. Can't see a problem with it, surely it would come under the "Other wildlife for the protection of" condition.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Used .223 on Canada's under the Defra, now English nature general licence, wish they'd stop mucki'n about changing who they think they are!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

if you hav vermin stated on your ticket for that particular calibre and the feathered variety is also classed as vermin
    then there is no issuse
    but you might look into the cost option
    shoot them at close range with the cheapest calibre
    say .22 rim and as they get further away use the long range toy which ever cal that maybe

actually there's this great section of stock fence that crows and woodies are always flying to and from with a good hill behind that sits at 170 from a really nice comfy spot. It was playing on my mind last night. You know what i'm thinking.....

I do canada with my .223, I wouldnt recommend a .22rf as, unless you can guarantee a headshot, they can take off, suddenly realise their 'pilots licence' is expired and 15 odd kilos of goose landing on someone is never a good picture (my permission runs alongside a fairly busy A-road). Moderated .223 from a fair distance, take out the "watchmen" (the cocks that sit away from the group) and then work into the group.

Hugh has it in one!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Some of the best sport to be had without a doubt longrange crow bashing, i use a 6br, had one at 451yds couple of weeks ago....

Love it
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox