Feathered quarry with a rifle?

Paul at Fechan

What's the story with shooting feathered quarry whether vermin or game with a rifle?

obviously on the ground chaps before you take the **** :rolleyes:

There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it, I remember one person saying that he uses his .223 on geese, hopefully you'd be able to take a few before they take flight. Can't see a problem with it, surely it would come under the "Other wildlife for the protection of" condition.

TJ

Used .223 on Canada's under the Defra, now English nature general licence, wish they'd stop mucki'n about changing who they think they are!

if you hav vermin stated on your ticket for that particular calibre and the feathered variety is also classed as vermin
then there is no issuse
but you might look into the cost option
shoot them at close range with the cheapest calibre
say .22 rim and as they get further away use the long range toy which ever cal that maybe
ATB

actually there's this great section of stock fence that crows and woodies are always flying to and from with a good hill behind that sits at 170 from a really nice comfy spot. It was playing on my mind last night. You know what i'm thinking.....:norty:

I do canada with my .223, I wouldnt recommend a .22rf as, unless you can guarantee a headshot, they can take off, suddenly realise their 'pilots licence' is expired and 15 odd kilos of goose landing on someone is never a good picture (my permission runs alongside a fairly busy A-road). Moderated .223 from a fair distance, take out the "watchmen" (the cocks that sit away from the group) and then work into the group.

Some of the best sport to be had without a doubt longrange crow bashing, i use a 6br, had one at 451yds couple of weeks ago....

It's funny we were talking about this on Sunday while clay shooting. Three of the lads had been asked to clear a large amount of canada's on someones nice lakes. .22rf was found only to be good for close quarter work, .17HMR worked out to the middle of the lake 130yds but only with head/neck shots, but the best by far was a .243. Bit of overkill really the .243, but any of the .22 centrefires cleared for vermin would do, if the quarry is on the general license!

ft

I've shot at water with my rifles. Often the bullets will come back up but as long as there's a decent steep backstop at the other end it's fine. The lake I shoot over has a huge earth bank at one end that's pretty much vertical. As long as the targets are close enough for the ricochet to hit the bank it's fine!

I've often been tempted to stick some targets to the bank and see if I can hit them accurately with the ricochets, but perhaps that's a step too far?! :lol:

Once had some fairly large shot make contact with me, after a friend had let go at fowl getting up from a lake, a tad to the side I would have probably lost an eye. stuff doesn't always conform to expectations, ever seen one take a wild trajectory?

once fired some .22 tracers on a lake and believe me if you saw the different angles they came off at you would not shoot on water again unless it was totallt in the middle of nowhere it was a real eye opener no predictability at all

Just to let some of you know (the younger ones), it's not a new concept, slotting feathers with bullets,A rook rifle is a a small calibre English rifle for shooting rooks and rabbits, developed in 1883 by the gun-makers Messrs. Holland. The original rifle was .295 bore, with a 80 grain bullet, but slightly larger bores of .300 and .320 were also made at the time.

Just to let some of you know (the younger ones), it's not a new concept, slotting feathers with bullets,A rook rifle is a a small calibre English rifle for shooting rooks and rabbits, developed in 1883 by the gun-makers Messrs. Holland. The original rifle was .295 bore, with a 80 grain bullet, but slightly larger bores of .300 and .320 were also made at the time.

All thoose lovely rifles bored out to .410 :'( I freind bought one a while ago for £12. It was all the money he had on him at the time. Bit of rust scrubbing and the name Holland & Holland, Rook and rabbit rifle came out (might not be the right wording exactly, bofre I am eaten alive :p). He shoot rabbits at100m no problem with it!

Sam

All the times I've done it they've come back up relatively consistantly. They do wander around a bit but I've never had any go off at unexpected angles? I've always had a splash of earth from the backstop not far away from where I've aimed and I've fired probably 100 rounds at water from a .223 and 6.5x55. Not sure I've ever done it with a .22 rimfire though.

Odd things can happen. The talk of bullets coming out of Deer at 90 degrees to the sight line worries me more than anything. If that sort of thing can happen then we'll have to start shooting all our Deer in tunnels!

Back