Query fitting large objective lens to Ruger M77

JMH123

Got the tallest ruger mounts (5&6) and planning to fit 30mm tube 3-12x56mm scope to my M77mk2 in 7x57.

Just looked at at the ruger chart and it indicates largest objective you can fit is 50mm. Has anyone else fitted a 56mm objective lens to a long action ruger m77- does it fit with the 5&6 mounts?

thanks.

My suspicion is that you will probably be OK though I can't guarantee it. I have an M77 that I actually went down a ring size (goofy Ruger proprietary ring system, I think I now have a 3 & a 4?) and mounted a 50mm obj with a fairly chunky adjustable objective without any issue. My ruger has the thin pencil barrel which may give a tad more clearance, also, the length of the scope can play in a little due to barrel taper.

Unfortunately, I can't double check or send pics since the rifle being stored in a safe of a family member back in the states :(.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific but hopefully that is somewhat helpful.

My suspicion is that you will probably be OK though I can't guarantee it. I have an M77 that I actually went down a ring size (goofy Ruger proprietary ring system, I think I now have a 3 & a 4?) and mounted a 50mm obj with a fairly chunky adjustable objective without any issue. My ruger has the thin pencil barrel which may give a tad more clearance, also, the length of the scope can play in a little due to barrel taper.

Unfortunately, I can't double check or send pics since the rifle being stored in a safe of a family member back in the states :(.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific but hopefully that is somewhat helpful.

Update...I was able to find an old email from when I ordered the smaller ring, it was a number 3 (low) so the rifle does indeed run a 3 & 4 ring set. I think you should be fine unless you have a mega bull barrel and an enormous adjustable objective ring over the bell of the scope.
here is the exact ring I ordered
Ruger Scope Ring - SINGLE 3B Low Blue 90269 SALE 90269

on my .220 Mk1 you have about 6mm bell to barrel at the front or 4mm closer back to the chamber area with highest mounts and a 50mm objective (Vortex). Glass to barrel distance at the very front of the bell is 10mm. So given you only have to swallow 3mm radially then you should be OK provided you can get the bell far enough forwards. However the addition of a Ruger picatinney rail will give you oodles of height. Graham at Northern Optics is very helpful and works with you to solve your mount problem rather than just selling you something.
ruger77_2[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much chaps- sounds like I will probably be OK, and if not there are ways to sort it. Appreciated.

Back