Custom Hand Loading

User00003

Greetings,

Does anyone know where it's possible to buy custom hand loaded ammunition (if I don't reload myself...yet..perhaps!).

I am particularly interested in the Nosler Partition Spitzer 100 grain for a .243

Seems in the US you can order custom hand-loads direct from Nosler, but in the UK it looks to me like you can only purchase the bullets.

If anyone knows of a custom hand loader in Scotland, please share.

kind regards,

PKL

Nosler will only load their loads in "custom" prepared cases. While I'm sure the ammunition is of superior quality, there is no guarantee it would be right for your rifle. You do know that you can buy a Lee Classic Reloader kit for $23 US that will produce your own custom ammunition, right? Unless you have seriously more money than time it is worth a look. I use them for my .222 and 243. Makes top-notch ammunition.~Muir
lee loader.jpg

Hmmm I believe that there are a couple of Rifl -builders/gunsmiths in the UK who do offer such a service but it does not come cheap. Now I have tried the .243 partitions through a 6mm Rem chambered rifle and so that they grouped poorly is a bit of an understatment. More development and probably another powder might have made them group well but at the cost of the bulelts plus powder here I could not justify the cost of said development not when the Hornady 95 Grn SST shot much better as did the Hornady 100 grn SP.

Mike Norris of Brock & Norris has load development & custom loads as part of his services, 01952 670198. sorry bud, he's Telford area, but it may be worth a call & see if he can put you on to someone reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really see how you can have custom hand loaded bullets unless it is your rifle that is used in the load development, too many variations involved with the slight differences that exist between all rifles. Rifles of the same calibre from the same maker will show differing preferences with ammunition. If I were you I would try and find someone local to you who reloads and see if a suitable load could be developed using your gun, and then come to an "arrangement" for future supplies. That way you could even use the same brass and they would be "bespoke" to your chamber just by neck sizing, until full length sizing was necessary.

Just my two 'penneth

John

I can't really see how you can have custom hand loaded bullets unless it is your rifle that is used in the load development, too many variations involved with the slight differences that exist between all rifles. Rifles of the same calibre from the same maker will show differing preferences with ammunition. If I were you I would try and find someone local to you who reloads and see if a suitable load could be developed using your gun, and then come to an "arrangement" for future supplies. That way you could even use the same brass and they would be "bespoke" to your chamber just by neck sizing, until full length sizing was necessary.

Just my two 'penneth

John

Ahhhhh John,

I believe you may be skating on thin ice there as there are legal implications in loading for someone else especially is money changes hands. I cannot quite recall the exact wording but they class that as production and you need a raft of licences to cover commercial ammunition production plus they require batch proof testing I believe.

There are people who offer this service in the UK, you send them your rifle and they develop a load to suit. You then send them your used brass and they make fresh ammo for it. I know a couple of guys who use this service, I will ask who provides it.

Back