What to write in the Calibre box

oxfordshirestalker

Hi all,

This is more for the sake of knowledge rather than needing to know for an application but if, hypothetically I were to apply for a .223 or .22-250 or .222 but hadn't yet fully made my mind up as to which, could I just write .22 Centrefire in the calibre box on the application form?

I assume you have to be specific but a lot of people group the .22CFs together so I was curious!

Thanks!

Depends on your local fld.
most will want you to state a specific chambering although some appear to allow grouping together chamberings by the calibre.
you probably need task your flo

TVP will want the specific calibre. I've just gone through this as I wanted to put .30cal, but they said I needed to choose one, so put .308 down

yep it should only be the cal but Some inist on the chamber as well

Dorset for mine where happy to accept 6.5mm/.260" so i could have a choice if a nice second hand came up in any of several cartridges obviously i could have been silly and got a 6.5-284 or if it exists a 6.5-338 Lapua etc in the end I got a 6.5x47L

they should if they wanted to even allow a range ie .243" - .308" etc

just remember to make sure if you do your ammo ask is the same

Hi all,

This is more for the sake of knowledge rather than needing to know for an application but if, hypothetically I were to apply for a .223 or .22-250 or .222 but hadn't yet fully made my mind up as to which, could I just write .22 Centrefire in the calibre box on the application form?

I assume you have to be specific but a lot of people group the .22CFs together so I was curious!

Thanks!

I recently did exactly what you want to do with Police Scotland (Aberdeen) and I was granted permission to acquire a .22 centrefire rifle.
I wrote a letter along with my variation form explaining that the exact calibre I chose would depend on price and availability.
The fact that I already have a .243 on my FAC may have helped them approve the request
Unfortunately they also put down the moderator as ".22 moderator" and all my local RFDs say that they will only supply a rimfire moderator rather than a moderator suitable for a centrfire.
The upshot is that my FAC is back with the Aberdeen firearms office getting the moderator wording changed to "full bore moderator"

Cheers

Bruce

Hi all,

Thanks!

Although the form asks for "calibre", Suffolk (at least) want the specific cartridge stated. I agree it would be more convenient to be able to just give the calibre and would save a lot of applying for one-for-one variations.

Why is it that the licensing peple do not understand plain old English after all caliber is caliber and a cartridge is a cartridge. 12 bore is a caliber but 22-250 is a cartridge. I suppose the fact that some cartridge names co-inside with their caliber like 300 blackout confuses them but if it is their job then surely learning to do the job and the terms techincal though they may seem is part of the job. If a mechanic does not know what an ARB or droplink is then it means he is not much of a mechanic same goes for a computer tech not knowing something simply like what the BUS is. These licensing people not knowing the difference between caliber and cartidge simply need to learn of be in another job.

Back