Firearms Awareness Course Thames Valley?

oxfordshirestalker

Hi all,

I've seen "Police approved firearms awareness courses" Advertised in the Bristol/Somerset area. Do you know if these sorts of things carry any clout in other police areas? Namely Thames Valley?

Thanks

Hi all,

I've seen "Police approved firearms awareness courses" Advertised in the Bristol/Somerset area. Do you know if these sorts of things carry any clout in other police areas? Namely Thames Valley?

Thanks
with TVP's record of firearms awareness possibly not :p however you can get training via the NRA at Bisley, a fullbore rifle club, or even from some of the trade members on this site, it all depends on what it is you are after, whether it is an introduction to firearms handling or specific skills ie handling and shooting a rifle in the field.
As to carrying clout, I suspect not, only your FEO can really give an answer, and even that isn't likely to be a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks

Sounds interesting, let's have some more details (said sceptically). :-|

If you do attend one of the Braces courses just make sure they spell your name correctly on the certificate... "The course has been specifically designed to cover all aspects of safe handling and use of a firearm and is relivant for shooters of all skill levels, shooters that target shoot and shooters that want to go hunting."

I'd also be a bit cautious about this: "The first part of the course is based in our shop in Bristol we have a dedicated office for the tuition from the course book covering all aspects of rifle safety in a casual environment." Hopefully not too casual?:)

8x57, here's one I found - I'm sure I've seen others advertised elsewhere (or atleast mentioned by another RFD in Somerset) Braces of Bristol | BRACES FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE

BASC offer this sort of thing too? http://basc.org.uk/sporting-services/basc-training-courses/firearms-awareness-courses/

Here's another Firearms Awareness Course - Rifleman Firearms

I don't believe that BASC have made any claims about their courses being police approved but there again I may be wrong. BASC obviously perceived a potential market for introductory/awareness courses and decided to market them after all they are in a slightly better position to do so than many other organisations and individuals. They also have the necessary knowledge and facility to do so while still complying fully within the restraints of current legislation where non certificate holders are concerned.

I do however seriously wonder about the claimed police approval by some others. Has anyone seen these letters of approval or endorsement? Are these courses accredited or verified by any third party body, also legally how do they overcome obstacles to non certificate holders having access to firearms or are these courses purely theoretical.

In my work I regularly encounter training certificates issued by various companies. The certificates are really nothing more than confirmation of attendance yet the companies often make claims of endorsement or approval by regulatory bodies. Invariably when challenged the company concerned cannot provide evidence of any form of acceptance other that the regulatory authority have not objected to the courses. They have therefore taken non objection as approval. :-|

I'm with KennyC on this one why not look at a GOOD rifle club for an introduction to shooting. It should also work out better value for money.

Last edited:
Met FEO, the only evidence he would consider to grant me a FAC for vermin was an in depth and detailed letter from a experienced FAC holder stating I was competent in all the calibers I wanted, both day and night shooting in all weathers, BASC courses No, NRA membership No, and good reason and permission slips had to be supplied.

Oh oh and my left lung, well it seemed that way anyway.

When I read the start of this thread, I thought it meant awareness courses for police officers. Silly me.

I think they're a good idea, but not for everyone. I think the FEO has got it about right. There's nothing that can beat being shown the ropes by a competent shooter in terms of safety, especially if that's your Dad, an uncle or perhaps some experienced person you go shooting with. If only because those people will positively want you to be safe because if you're not, they could be the ones at risk! But perhaps not all have that chance and so these courses can be of benefit I guess.

As for falsely claiming endorsements from the police or anyone else, that's naughty! It could be construed even as a criminal deception, making you pay for something you aren't getting!

Hi give Dave streton aring at donnington deer management he also dose dsc 1/2 I think it is about £125
you get the morning in the class room after lunch out to the range when he is happy that you can shoot a 22 rimfire out comes the 6.5x55 it is a very plesent day out
taz

When I was a member of the Shooting Club based in Surrey/Sussex all new members regardless if they held a valid FAC and owned their own guns went through the probation programme and had to prove they were safe with the various firearms before being offered full membership or allowed to shoot on the ranges without having a mentor beside them. As the club shot almost all types of firearms including antique Balck Powder rifles and pistols as well as modern ones you had a go with about everything available from muzzle loaders to semi auotomaic pistols... This was of course before the ridiculous "Hand gun ban".

Several people were refused to be allowed to continue and told not to come back for not being suitable or unsafe and one chap I remember even held a valid FAC was deemed so unsafe that this was repoerted to the Police.

I don't believe they are false claims as I know people who have done this a then gone on to get their FAC.

No 'Chief Officer' will grant you a Section one licence for merely attending such a course PERIOD!! It does not constitute 'good reason'. What it does do is add evidence to your shooting portfolio so that when you do have 'good reason' the FEO will ask such questions on firearms experience. Now you have to sell your case to justify what you have asked for on that initial application.

For instance, because I had an extensive background of the safe handling of firearms I was granted four slots on initial application .22lr .223 .243 and .308.

With just the attendance course you speak of you would probably get one or two slots on initial application and then they would try and restrict your calibre. It's certainly not a bad thing but don't see it as a golden ticket to that hard earned FAC, like I said it just anorher piece of evidence for you portfolio.

When I was a member of the Shooting Club based in Surrey/Sussex all new members regardless if they held a valid FAC and owned their own guns went through the probation programme and had to prove they were safe with the various firearms before being offered full membership or allowed to shoot on the ranges without having a mentor beside them. As the club shot almost all types of firearms including antique Balck Powder rifles and pistols as well as modern ones you had a go with about everything available from muzzle loaders to semi auotomaic pistols... This was of course before the ridiculous "Hand gun ban".

Several people were refused to be allowed to continue and told not to come back for not being suitable or unsafe and one chap I remember even held a valid FAC was deemed so unsafe that this was repoerted to the Police.
+1 this is a sensible route to take. It gives you a safe environment with (hopefully) some knowledgeable people to learn from and it's not rushed into a short session about which the pointy end is.

Nowt wrong with a firearms awareness course - it just depends where you do it - if anyone wants to know where to go in A&S just drop me a PM

Back