What powder?

ChesterP

...would you recommend that might be suitable for loading both .223 and .308? I'm after something readily available, not some uber-performing unobtanium where I might be lucky to find a second tub of the stuff. I've had N140 recommended but as I'm new to reloading I don't know if there are any pitfalls. Barrel on the 308 is 22 inches and on the 223 is 26 inches if that makes any difference from determining whether a fast or slower burn powder is best suited?

More important than barrel length is the rifling twist rate on your 223 and therefore what weight bullets you plan to load in it. If it's a 1/9" job and you're loading 60-70gn bullets, you can happily use N140 for both cartridges. If it's a 1/12" twist which limits you to 55gn top weight as a general rule (there are a handful of heavier exceptions), even more so if it's the 12-inch twist and you want to shoot lightweight (40-50gn) fox bullets, N140 is too slow burning for the 223.

If you're loading 52-55gn in the 223 and 150-168gn, 175 at a pinch, in the 308, N135 can be used in both although as a compromise it's a little bit slow burning for the 223 and equally a little bit fast burning for 308.

The same issues apply to alternative makes and grades of powder.

Yes, powders are better for 40-55gr, other 55-70 grains. But the list of those that perform well across a wide range of bullet weights in both cartridges is a long list. In the middle range 50-64 grains, and 130-165 grains:

IMR-4895
IMR-4064
W-748
Varget
TAC
BL-C(2)
CFE223
8208 XBR
RL-15
Norma 203B

Thanks guys

Yes sorry, should have stated barrel details and bullets I use:

223: 1/8 twist, 26 inch. I use 50g accutip for fox, and 65 to 70g Sierra match kings for target

.308: 1/11 twist, 22 inch. For deer, I use 153 and 168g bullets and for target, 153g Sierra Match kings.

Based on that, anything seem an ideal match or am I looking at two different powders?

I've got a tub of Benchmark with .223(40gr & 55grn) and .308 (155grn & 168grn) listed on the label.

Is Reloder 12 still made?

Last edited:
Must say I am suprised you can shoot 50grns in a 1:8 .223 mine wont. Suggest you see my thread on 69 grn TMK's and then you could use N140 in both. Varget which is now in supply could be the answer.

D

Thanks guys

Yes sorry, should have stated barrel details and bullets I use:

223: 1/8 twist, 26 inch. I use 50g accutip for fox, and 65 to 70g Sierra match kings for target

.308: 1/11 twist, 22 inch. For deer, I use 153 and 168g bullets and for target, 153g Sierra Match kings.

Based on that, anything seem an ideal match or am I looking at two different powders?
N140 will cover .223 in the 60-70gr range and .308 in the 150-160 range.
Google Viht reloading manual - it's free online and have a gander at what you can use.
N140 is generally readily available and reasonably priced, insomuch as any powders are these days.

Varget will work in the same range but is more expensive and still not as readily available.

Ram TAC. Cheap and available.

Southern's list was excellent but if I could only pick one I think it might be TAC. Great accuracy and performance across a range of 308 and 223 loads with excellent metering and minimal bore fouling.

TAC is a great powder, and I have been out of it for years, just picking up a canister last week, and cheap, too!

CFE 223 was developed for the US military for the shorter carbines. It may be better than TAC. It burns very clean, and low flash ( good for night shooting ). Great for my AR-15s. I have just started trying it in the .308, but a friend who is ahead of me is getting great groups and velocity. Should be good for the FAL, HK-91, and SCAR. I want to try it in the 8x57IS with lighter bullets.

8208-XBR seems to be a like a better Varget in bolt action rifles, from what competitive shooters tell me ( less temperature sensitive ). I want to try it under the 155-gr at long range, when time and weather permit.

n140 forget the yank powders as they may and can get hard to find or get and v140 will do all you need and more

Researching RS50 that I got from a friend for my 308, there was several articles/threads on various forums saying it was also good for 223. £60 a kilo, if it works, can't be bad.

Regards

Mark

TAC is a great powder, and I have been out of it for years, just picking up a canister last week, and cheap, too!

CFE 223 was developed for the US military for the shorter carbines. It may be better than TAC. It burns very clean, and low flash ( good for night shooting ). Great for my AR-15s. I have just started trying it in the .308, but a friend who is ahead of me is getting great groups and velocity. Should be good for the FAL, HK-91, and SCAR. I want to try it in the 8x57IS with lighter bullets.

8208-XBR seems to be a like a better Varget in bolt action rifles, from what competitive shooters tell me ( less temperature sensitive ). I want to try it under the 155-gr at long range, when time and weather permit.

I really like CFE too. I Have had excellent accuracy and a bit more velocity with it than TAC .. but the TAC varied less with temp changes in my experience

CFE 223 for my .223. I have found it an excellent powder that meters well. I use it with Nosler Varmageddon 55 grain pills. Absolutely Kryptonite to foxes. I did buy a tub of Benchmark in the early days just in case the CFE didn't work out. It is still sat in the back of my cupboard unopened. ;) . Speaks volumes eh?

N140 will cover .223 in the 60-70gr range and .308 in the 150-160 range.
Google Viht reloading manual - it's free online and have a gander at what you can use.
N140 is generally readily available and reasonably priced, insomuch as any powders are these days.

Varget will work in the same range but is more expensive and still not as readily available.

Thanks for this. After playing with various loads on the newly re-barrelled 223, as was pointed out by Cyres, 50g are proving a little too light. Fine to 100m but not stable enough for longer ranges as groups widen. I'll stick to shooting 69 to 75 grain bullets with that.

Looks like TAC/Xterminatior N135/140 will all do the job and are readily available then.

Many thanks chaps.

Back