New from Australia

tacklerat

Hi, I've just signed in as a new member, and looking forward to see how the hunting is back in the Old Sod. I live in Northern NSW just south of the NSW / Queensland border. I currently have 4 hunting rifles, A 222 on a Zastava mini Mauser action with a Boyd's Walnut stock, and a Vortex Crossfire scope in 4-12, A Winchester Mod 70 243 with a Vortex Diamondback in 4-12, A Montana Rifle Co. ASR in .270W also with a Vortex 4-12. Lastly there is a CZ550 full wood in 9.3x62, it has a Bushnell 1-4 Legend on it. The 222 is for foxes, dogs and headless rabbits, the 243 and the 270 for deer and goats. The 9.3 is for water buffalo and wild pigs, and a Sambar Deer.
I also have on order a 6.5 Creedmoor being set up as a long range target rifle. It will have a Howa heavy barrel and action with a walnut stock being built by one of our stock makers over here. It will have another Votrex scope, this time a 6.5-20x50. It will be too heavy to carry hunting.
Most of our game animals over here are introduced species and include 5 varieties of deer, wild pigs, goats, Buffalo, Camels as well as foxes and wild dogs.
Cheers,
John:D

Hi, I've just signed in as a new member, and looking forward to see how the hunting is back in the Old Sod. I live in Northern NSW just south of the NSW / Queensland border. I currently have 4 hunting rifles, A 222 on a Zastava mini Mauser action with a Boyd's Walnut stock, and a Vortex Crossfire scope in 4-12, A Winchester Mod 70 243 with a Vortex Diamondback in 4-12, A Montana Rifle Co. ASR in .270W also with a Vortex 4-12. Lastly there is a CZ550 full wood in 9.3x62, it has a Bushnell 1-4 Legend on it. The 222 is for foxes, dogs and headless rabbits, the 243 and the 270 for deer and goats. The 9.3 is for water buffalo and wild pigs, and a Sambar Deer.
I also have on order a 6.5 Creedmoor being set up as a long range target rifle. It will have a Howa heavy barrel and action with a walnut stock being built by one of our stock makers over here. It will have another Votrex scope, this time a 6.5-20x50. It will be too heavy to carry hunting.
Most of our game animals over here are introduced species and include 5 varieties of deer, wild pigs, goats, Buffalo, Camels as well as foxes and wild dogs.
Cheers,
John:D

Hey John, welcome. when I was a wee lad I worked on a farm in Mungundi, near Moree - are you out that way?

hunting in the Old Sod - is pretty good, Red, fallow, roe, muntjac, Chinese water deer and sika deer, plenty of foxes, a few pigs and so on, but very heavily over demanded particularly in recent years and not on the expanses of country you would be used to.

anyways, good to have you on here.

G'day Essex, yes mate Mungindi is only about a 6 hour drive from my place. As you probably recall a 6 hour drive is not a big deal here. I live just out of Lismore, and do most of my hunting over in the New England district west of Tenterfield and down near Glen Innes. Still mobs of pigs out around Mungindi, but I have heaps of Fallow in those other places along with wild goats and a few hogs. The Fox hunting is pretty good over there too. The other deer species are Chital, mostly in North Queensland, Red Deer mostly up in the Brisbane Valley, Sambar down in the Victorian High Country. There are also some hog deer in limited numbers in Victoria, and Rusa scattered around but not easy to find.
Cheers,
John

sounds very, very good John. I do remember jumping out of a pick up truck to chase mobs of pigs with rifles that were probably too small for the job, would love to do it again (bigger shooter this time)! and some really long shots at feral cats as well as the odd roo or two. And carp with shotguns, not terribly sporting but they were a menace destroying the yellowbelly habitat if I remember right.

Will

Well done on the Carp and cats Will, A lot of your countrymen are a little taken aback at how we treat the Carp here. You're right they do destroy the riverine habitat, often eating the eggs of the native fish. Did you ever come across any Murray Cod out that way. By the way I have a 9.3x62 I bought for Buffalo but it's very unkind to pigs.
John

Hi John

i never did respond to your post, sorry. No, I never did tackle with a Murray cod and I am full of regret for that. I saw the jawbones of them all over the place in Moree, and would dearly love to go back for a week of Murray cod, yellow bellies and pigs!
All the best

will

Back