FAC and Police Scotland

donsider

Let there be praise where it is due. I had a home visit from a constable from Police Scotland regarding the renewal of both my FAC and Shotgun Certificate. He was based in Stonehaven some 18 miles from Aberdeen and we agreed both the day and time suitable to us both for the inspection. After a short interview and going over the relevant documentation regarding the renewal, he then viewed all my firearms checking their registration numbers and security arrangements regarding the safe keeping of the firearms. I found the constable to be quite familiar with shooting customs and practices. It was a very pleasant interview and inspection. Within ten days my renewed FAC and Shotgun Certificate arrived. Given that four of the days were either a Saturday or a Sunday I must say the turn around time was quite quick given the staffing shortages that we hear so much about here in Scotland regarding the Police.

Are all areas in Scotland just as this efficient regarding FAC applications and renewals?

Donsider

Are all areas in Scotland just as this efficient regarding FAC applications and renewals?

Not even close.

The majority of areas have reasonable or even good service - Glasgow, Fife, Perthsire, Aberdeen to my knowledge can usually turn things around in 2-3 weeks.

But then there's Edinburgh. Oh Edinburgh. Wildly, hopelessly, gloriously slow. 6 weeks for a one-for-one. 8 weeks for an addition. Seven months and more for renewals. Over a year at times for initial grant.

I simply cannot understand why they are SO spectacularly useless in comparison to the rest of Scotland.

A year or so ago, I collected data from across the whole UK on turnaround times. Edinburgh are consistently the slowest in the UK for most things.

If anyone has any ideas how to use this to pressure them to improve, I'm all ears...

Sorry to hear this Mungo though I have to say my son is in Edinburgh and has experienced no problems when he moved there from Bristol. However, that was four years ago and pre Police Scotland. Perhaps you should write to your MP and MSP and inform them of your research.

Just found out that I can only contact them on the 101 number at a cost of 15p every time I call.

Charging a fee to call the police ? what the hell is that all about ?

Let there be praise where it is due.

Donsider

That's good that there that efficient there going to have to start processing licences for the 500.000 air rifles in Scotland now.
Good old Sturgeon and the SNP.........

Back