What's the most reliable used pick up

Tikka595

As the title says which is the most reliable used truck!
i have a Navara D40 which I got cheap through work and generally it's good for the job
i dont give it much abuse because it has over 150k on the clock,
i have have a few issues as expected, but my mate has the same truck with half the miles and he has had his fare share of trouble, Navara D40 are maybe not the most reliable!!
So the question is if I was going to replace it with another pick up what would you guys suggest
budget 10k max, little less would be better..
Isuzu,Toyota,Ford,Nissan, Great Wall,Land rover.
maybe they all have there issues just pay your money and take your chance!;)

cheers Tikka595

I don't have a lot of experience of other makes but having had 4 second hand Isuzu's I would always go for one of them. I have NEVER had one let me down, but I have always had full servicing! Cheers Jerry :tiphat:

I have a 5 year old hilux with nearly 200,000 on the clock still on original clutch never let me down has full Toyota service and has only had the usual service parts. Ordered the new hilux for September why ! They cannot be beaten

All the research projects I ever worked with in Africa relied almost exclusively on Toyota Hiluxes.

Says all you need to know.

I think reliability is pretty good for all of them these days and the differences are small. One not mentioned is the VW Amarok. Maybe not so sure of the fuel consumption (!) but you don't get many unreliable VW's. But if reliability is the major issue, then it's hard to look past the Toyota Hilux.

Toyota's are very good i had the 3L vigo but that had a few issues and wasn't cheep to put right .i found the fords to be really good and cheap on parts ,that why I just went for the new one the ltd thought about the hilux but couldn't see where the extra money was as the ford has it all
You should get a nice ranger for 8-10 k were you will be at the higher end of the miles in the hilux range and try and avoid buying something with a tow bar as its probably be carting cattle or mini diggers about or the likes off .

The Hilux held the top spot for years,but a lot of the guys up here really rate the Isuzu. Land Rovers are unreliable and expensive and I wouldn't touch the Great Wall with a barge pole. I think the Ford Ranger is well thought of too,which is very similar to the Mazda which I drive,that I really like,especially the heated seats,this time of year.
Id take a good look at the Isuzu,though.

We've had an isuzu rodeo at work thats had an awful hard life since bought new in 06, the only thing it's needed has been two clutches. Boss has got a new shape navara that's been pretty good. I like my ford ranger as it's an older version and nice and simple. I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of them really, just take your time finding the right one.

Thanks for the feed back guys
I think Toyota is still the top truck on the market I saw one for sale with 300k on the clock impressive!
With the Isuzu showing good reliability as a few suggest.
They are all good pick ups now I guess,Just with different good and bad points
Just pay your money and take your choice..
I will continue to look after my Navara and start saving..

Thanks for sharing your views...
Tikka595

For that money 100% L200.

Get a newer lower Milage one than most anything else. Had 2 and very happy with them.

Our warrior at the moment has Cooper STT tyres on and still will do over 35mpg on a decent run.

Tou will likely get a 2010 / 11 with maybe 70 / 80 k on the clock for that money. Looking at a hilux that money will get your u a 2.5 low spec and very high Milage.

As the title says which is the most reliable used truck!
i have a Navara D40 which I got cheap through work and generally it's good for the job
i dont give it much abuse because it has over 150k on the clock,
i have have a few issues as expected, but my mate has the same truck with half the miles and he has had his fare share of trouble, Navara D40 are maybe not the most reliable!!
So the question is if I was going to replace it with another pick up what would you guys suggest
budget 10k max, little less would be better..
Isuzu,Toyota,Ford,Nissan, Great Wall,Land rover.
maybe they all have there issues just pay your money and take your chance!;)

cheers Tikka595

Dan,

If it's reliable, used and on sale...... Why?

Stan

Ex LR owner now a 11 reg Toyota hilux owner hear and I'm very happy I made the move I basically bought it on the hope it was as good as people say and I can't rally fault it its economical , comfortable and reliable everything a LR isn't

in the year I've had it I've done 20k miles now on 118k I've had a full service , and I replaced a bent bracket on the tailgate , topped up the antifreeze and extended the rear axle breather for when going thru deep water

that's all I've spent on it since buying it you can't fault that

Not the greatest load space, but you wont go far wrong with any half decent maintained Td5 Defender. A close second being the Toyota, but most certainly it is only a runner up to a Defender 110 :)

I recently got a 12 plate isuzu through work. It has 87k on the clock and is a nice bit of kit. We have had it from new and the only job other than service items was rear suspension bushes. It did do a fair bit of heavy work but never towed with it.
Getting around 33 mpg according to the dash.

Not the greatest load space, but you wont go far wrong with any half decent maintained Td5 Defender. A close second being the Toyota, but most certainly it is only a runner up to a Defender 110 :)

my 12 plate rangerover was pouring oil smoke out from under the bonnet this morning when I pulled up at work , my Toyota never did that...............

I asked on here for some advice as to whether I should go for a Hilux. I did, and am extremely happy with it not only is it comfortable but it's brilliant off road.

Back