260 Rem - published min/max loads for 129 SST and H4350

Sabian223

Hi

Has anyone got the published min/max loads to use with a 129g sst using Hodgdon H4350 in 260 Rem? The Hornady manual is useless and the Hodgdon website doesnt cover the round. I know they cover the Nosler 130 grain but the sst is a completely different shape and length?

Any info would be really appreciated

Atb

Dave

Hi

Has anyone got the published min/max loads to use with a 129g sst using Hodgdon H4350 in 260 Rem? The Hornady manual is useless and the Hodgdon website doesnt cover the round. I know they cover the Nosler 130 grain but the sst is a completely different shape and length?

Atb

Dave

Just use the Nosler website. It's in line with the Speer Manual #14 .260 for 120gr and 140gr.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/260-remington/

The 'Accubond' shape is the same as the SST, but shape isn't a game-changer.

I would just use IMR 4350 data for H4350, as H4350 is slightly slower. I've used both in other calibres.

You can use 130gr data instead of 129gr easily. Just load so that bullet base is level with top of shoulder/ bottom of neck and go from there.

Imr 4350 / H4350 is ok but a bit slow. Try Rl17

BE

Hi

Atb

Dave
I agree. Use the 130 grain data.
Unless the bullet is of some special alloy or unusual configuration, the accepted practice is to go to the starting load data for the next heavier bullet weight. As I am fond of saying, "Weigh your bullet. Does it really weigh what you think it does??":D I'm sure some of those SST's weigh 130 grains....~Muir

Dave

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/260-remington/ if you scroll down you can see data for 129gr.
Secondly, I've always found the Hornady manual easy to use and on the money for the 260 Rem.
The only other thing I would consider is the COL of the loaded 129 gr SST rounds. I'm pretty sure I was shooting these with a COL of 2.9 inches or just a few thou shorter.

Best regards

JCS

Hodgdon don't have a specific recommdation for 129 grain bullets and H4350 on their website but for 125 grain bullets the starting and max loads are 41.0 & 44.3 grains respectively and for 140 grain bullets it's 39.0 & 42.0 grains. In my rifle I've found H4831 to be excellent with the 129 grain SST.

Thankyou all ill throw a few loads together and.play about with the c.o.l, I've been trying them and both 20 and 10 thou off the lands, maybe I should try them shorter?

Atb

Dave

Back