Abseil for CIIC Cancer Charity

I. Farticus

As you might know, I'm close friends with a chap called Ian Spicer who is UK Director for MINOX Hunting Optics.

What you won't know is that Ian lost his little sister to cancer last year.

What you won't believe is that he, and a few friends of his little sister are going to abseil down the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth Harbour on 12th March to raise money for the CIIC Cancer Charity based at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham...

In Ian's own words:
My little Sister Anne died in December last year having lost a brave fight with cancer.

I don't know if it was her lust for adventure, her wicked sense of humour or her subtle but gritty determination but, somehow before she passed away - and certainly in the full knowledge that she would not be there to do it with us - she booked up an abseil down the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth Harbour.

So, on the 12th March several of Anne's madder friends and me, her idiot brother, will travel to the top of the Spinnaker Tower in a perfectly serviceable lift that goes down as well as up. Eschewing both the lift and our common sense we will then abseil down the side of the tower, all to raise some much needed funds for Anne's chosen charity.

A word about that charity -
The CIIC Cancer Charity is based at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. The work they do is ground breaking, without any doubt they extended Annie's life last year giving her some extra months of comfort and above all, hope. The work they are doing continues and if you keep an eye on the news you will have noticed recently that cancer immunotherapy research really is showing many positive signs of on-going success.

I'm asking for your help, just a little, please.

Every pound or penny you can offer here:https://www.justgiving.com/Anne-Parnell3/

…..will surely help drag Anne's dearest dream into existence - her dream was that others might not have to suffer the dread of a diagnosis of terminal cancer.

I had the pleasure of meeting the folk at CIIC at QE Hospital Birmingham, they are a wonderful, brilliant, hard-working team and your support will help them do wonderful things for desperate people who are fighting cancer today.
Please do give.
Thank you so, so much.
Ian

I`d like to give something back to the SD in the way of donating this A3 sized roaring Red Stag portrait for someone to win and support Ian`s cause.

I bought it from a mate with the intention of framing it and putting it on the wall with a mixture of my wildlife photos but I`m sure I can find something else to fill the space.
This will cost you £5 a ticket and you may purchase as many as you wish, in fact if you purchase 4 tickets you can have a free ticket.
Please message Ian and myself when and how much you have donated so we can keep an equal tally.
It will run until 7pm on Thursday 31/3/2016.
Good Luck all!

As posted by Ian on his FB page...:
"We came to conquer, we came to overcome our own dread and fears and to make a point.
It is said that anger is a natural part of the grieving process and I am angry with the cancer that took my sister. Yesterday, with the help of many others united in the same cause, I got a chance to hit back. As I'd planned, I turned around at what I thought was half way down the Spinnaker and shouted "F*CK CANCER!"
Thanks to Raymond Warrior for capturing this one little moment of personal victory in what was a fabulous day.
Keep fighting, never stop believing that we can overcome this hateful disease…..live-life."

858794_10153328252162274_732907208450538213_o.jpg

Back