Red Deer Whinfell Area, Cumbria

camodog

Good Evening. Does anyone have any idea if there are any/many reds around Whinfell ? This area lies just to the West of Tebay on the M6, and just North of Kendal. Thanks in advance for any information.

'Camodog'.

There are red and roe on ashtead fell if thats any use to you,theres a couple of lads allready on there though,doug,

Last edited:
Morning Doug. I'm not sure where Ashtead fell is in relation to Whinfell. I was walking up there recently and was certain I'd seen some reds disappearing over the top of Whinfell, but couldn't be sure. Thanks for the reply tho'.

'Camodog'.

Yes, there are reds there. You can stalk with guide Jonathan Standing in that area.

ATB
Nick

Morning Doug. I'm not sure where Ashtead fell is in relation to Whinfell. I was walking up there recently and was certain I'd seen some reds disappearing over the top of Whinfell, but couldn't be sure. Thanks for the reply tho'.

'Camodog'.
Its across from jonathan over the road next to main drag but you,,i mean me would need an extra lung and an helicopter for the extraction,!!its vertical,:drool:

Wrong Whinfell - the one that is 'just to the West of Tebay on the M6, and just North of Kendal' is West of the M6 and just north of Patton and Grayrigg. Jonathan has ground just above there.

Either way there is reds both side of the M6 and JS has some ground both sides of the M6.

Its across from jonathan over the road next to main drag but you,,i mean me would need an extra lung and an helicopter for the extraction,!!its vertical,:drool:

Last edited:
Evening Doug and Nick. Thank-you for this confirmation. They must have been 'reds' I'd seen then! I have seen 'reds' on the Eastern side of the M6 by Tebay on my regular trips thru' there, but never on the Western side. It was one morning early last Summer, while visiting friends, that I saw them when walking up Whinfell. I think they had been lying in a hollow when I disturbed them. I just caught a glimpse of their rears disappearing over the rise.

Thanks again,

'Camodog'.

Does anyone know if Jonathan standing still takes clients out? If so does anyone have contact details as google hasn’t turned up a great deal for me.

Cheers Luke

Does anyone know if Jonathan standing still takes clients out? If so does anyone have contact details as google hasn’t turned up a great deal for me.

Cheers Luke

He does. Best is to call him on 015395 5222 after dark.

Not sure if this was taken in that area but the farce book link did say the guide or “outfitter” was Mr Standing (though now removed for unknown reasons)

Lonsdale Estates also has some ground down in that area I believe, although probably nearer Shap. Definitely reds in that area...

Seen reds at Martindale, also on the side of the road where the St Johns in the Vale road meets the Keswick road..

Back