Not your usual 303 Brit

alberta boy

This was posted on Canadian Gunnutz recently . It was purchased by a member along with the story that goes with it . I can't think of a more iconic rifle from western Canada's past . I thought some of you might enjoy it ............ and give you an idea what the 303 Brit was used for , then and now . The Winchester 1895 is commonly encountered in Canada chambered in 303 British and still commands a lot of respect ........and a lot of cash lol.

AB

"It has seen many, many miles in a leather saddle scabbard and bluing is worn, of course...I owned and used it for about 40 years and she saved my butt on a couple occasions when I was guiding grizzly hunters...It was a gift from the guide outfitter I was working under at the time. He loaned me the rifle to back him up on a grizzly that an American hunter wounded.....I was able to get 5 fast shots in the bear before it went down at his feet. His rifle was tangled in the damn alder. Anyways he gave me the gun in appreciation...A few years later another wounded grizzly got him and he didn't make it home that time....The family is still in the guiding business but in the Yukon now."

Attachments

• IMAG6016_zpsrmesvpyz.jpg
    IMAG6016_zpsrmesvpyz.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
This was posted on Canadian Gunnutz recently . It was purchased by a member along with the story that goes with it . I can't think of a more iconic rifle from western Canada's past . I thought some of you might enjoy it ............ and give you an idea what the 303 Brit was used for , then and now . The Winchester 1895 is commonly encountered in Canada chambered in 303 British and still commands a lot of respect ........and a lot of cash lol.

AB

"It has seen many, many miles in a leather saddle scabbard and bluing is worn, of course...I owned and used it for about 40 years and she saved my butt on a couple occasions when I was guiding grizzly hunters...It was a gift from the guide outfitter I was working under at the time. He loaned me the rifle to back him up on a grizzly that an American hunter wounded.....I was able to get 5 fast shots in the bear before it went down at his feet. His rifle was tangled in the damn alder. Anyways he gave me the gun in appreciation...A few years later another wounded grizzly got him and he didn't make it home that time....The family is still in the guiding business but in the Yukon now."
Nice old rifle!
What was the nationality of the hunter who wounded the bear that killed him? :lol:~Muir

Nice old rifle!
What was the nationality of the hunter who wounded the bear that killed him? :lol:~Muir

Lol , if I remember correctly , it was a Canadian . I think he was from Toronto or some other foreign place . Just kidding , I don't know the nationality of his last client .

AB

Last edited:
Holts have a .303 Winchester 1895 for auction this month which they think,is an ex RCMP rifle? Guide price starting at £1800 + fees and vat

Bob

That is one sweet saddle gun. Makes me want another such thing from the same vintage, like a Krag engineer's carbine or 1896 Swedish Calvary Carbine.

Holts have a .303 Winchester 1895 for auction this month which they think,is an ex RCMP rifle? Guide price starting at £1800 + fees and vat

Bob

The Mounties did carry these and other Winchesters like the model 1894 in 30/30 . It depended on where they were posted . An old friend of mine , now past , was a staff Sargent in the Arctic for many years . He had a few run ins with polar bears that had decided to snack on the locals ( not good ) and carried a Winchester push feed Model 70 chambered in 375 H&H . Apparently it worked quite well , no surprise . Mind you , he was a Korean war vet and a very cool customer under pressure . They don't make them like that anymore .......... the man , not the rifles lol .

AB

That is one sweet saddle gun. Makes me want another such thing from the same vintage, like a Krag engineer's carbine or 1896 Swedish Calvary Carbine.

I was talking to Scrumbag the other day about rebarreling a modern 95 repro in 35 Whelen or 9.3X62 . That would make for a very nice " big stuff " rifle . Mind you , I wouldn't keep the steel buttplate if I did , that would get old rather quickly .

The rifle pictured has an old Lyman 21 receiver sight on it , do any of you know if anyone is making reproductions ? I've seen a few originals for sale infrequently , and for silly amounts of cash , but they do look right , for lack of a better word .

AB

I was talking to Scrumbag the other day about rebarreling a modern 95 repro in 35 Whelen or 9.3X62 . That would make for a very nice " big stuff " rifle . Mind you , I wouldn't keep the steel buttplate if I did , that would get old rather quickly .

The rifle pictured has an old Lyman 21 receiver sight on it , do any of you know if anyone is making reproductions ? I've seen a few originals for sale infrequently , and for silly amounts of cash , but they do look right , for lack of a better word .

AB
No, but I will check around for a reproduction.
Just get a modern 1895 in .405 Winchester, for big stuff. Keep the steel buttplate; if you have to use that thing on something toothy, you will likely be wearing lots of clothing, and you would be proud of the bruise you got while rolling over Mr. Griz.

AB

Thanks for sharing, the 1895 Winchester is my favourite lever action and as rare as hens teeth here in UK. I would dearly love a genuine one in .303 and could never buy the Jap made one, my late Uncle Billy a Chnindit would never forgive me !
Great story.
Reiver xxv

Thanks for sharing, the 1895 Winchester is my favourite lever action and as rare as hens teeth here in UK. I would dearly love a genuine one in .303 and could never buy the Jap made one, my late Uncle Billy a Chnindit would never forgive me !
Great story.
Reiver xxv

Glad you enjoyed it . My late Uncle Denis Burnham was a Chindit , small world .

AB

Just checked and there is a couple on gunstar, both around the £1700 mark. A little different to the standard .303 you see on the range.

regards

Mark

Back