solid copper for .224

bewsher500

So I just finished mincing about 20 pounds of shoulder and assorted trimmings from two roe I shot with the .222

very disappointed as both of my shots went through both shoulders when I was aiming just behind
anyway< i have a box of 53gr Barnes solid copper bullets (XLC)

going to give them a go as the break up of the hornady SP's was just a bit too messy

anyone using copper in a .224?
any issues?

What were the Hornady soft points Brewsher?
The trouble is that most but not all of the .224 bullets from the U.S. are varmint bullets. It tends to be mainly the European manufacturers plus a couple of the U.S. bullets that are made for deer.

Is that the first time you've put the treble through the shoulders?

It's one of the reasons I stopped chest shooting with mine. Every time it hit a shoulder, it was a spectacular mess .

No I have put a few through the shoulders quartering but I normally aim to miss bone for this very reason.
suspect on these occasions I am shooting an inch or two to the left at range, mechanical redirection of rifle or zero i am not sure
the previous ones were very straightforward, no massive bruising or blood clots just straightforward forward hole with blood clots near by

i was previously running them through a 19-20" barrel
i am wondering if this full length OEM Sako barrel has them clipping along that little bit quicker

the damage this time was considerable, blood clots for the majority of the rib cage and up into the neck.
exit holes were neat, sub inch, these are not explosive bullets but I did recover a small fragment from one exit hole..
I think it i more a case of path rather than frangibility

the bullets are a flat base Spitzer with standard soft nose
solid with a bit more weight retention sounds good in principal

I'm sure the 53gr will be fine in your Handi rifle.

For the 1:14 twist I'm keen to try 50gr TTSX with the tips pulled (should bring them down to 0.7" length - same length as others that are accurate in my rifle).

I used the 53g xlc to take a single roe with my 22/250 many years ago. I think it was the first deer to get the lead free treatment from me. Range was about 20 yards and the bullet hit the shoulder and vertebrae before exiting behind the off shoulder if I recall correctly. Very impressive performance at an impact velocity of over 3500 fps all things considered and there wasn't much meat damage that I recall. Worth trying them for sure, you could try the ballistic stability program on the Berger bullets site to give you an idea of likely stability

I have no expertise here (ask srvet!) but I'm sure I read on the Barnes site that they don't recommend 53gr for 222

Buchan is right! I have just checked the Berger site and the bullet appears unstable with a 1:14 twist and marginally stable with a 1:12 at 22/250 velocity (3600fps). The 45g bullet would be better but would still only reach marginal stability according to the program.

I have no expertise here (ask srvet!) but I'm sure I read on the Barnes site that they don't recommend 53gr for 222

You may struggle to stabilise the 53 grain Barnes with a 1-14" twist.
give them a try and see.

its length not weight
I am using 60gr at the moment
The 53gr solid copper is only marginally longer but still not as much as a 52gr Amax
its also flat base so has a longer bearing surface, pretty confident i can get usable stability out of them

I'm sure the 53gr will be fine in your Handi rifle.

For the 1:14 twist I'm keen to try 50gr TTSX with the tips pulled (should bring them down to 0.7" length - same length as others that are accurate in my rifle).

i did the same to stabilise 52gr Amax
night and day.
4-5" groups with spiralling impact holes down to sub 1" group with perfect circle holes

I knew that you used 60 grainers so you may be lucky.
My 222 14 twist was ok with 40 grains to 63 grain bullets.
I was told on the Nosler site that my 60 grain partitions would'nt stabilise, but my rifle didn't listen :D
Is now a 17 Remington.

I knew that you used 60 grainers so you may be lucky.
My 222 14 twist was ok with 40 grains to 63 grain bullets.
I was told on the Nosler site that my 60 grain partitions would'nt stabilise, but my rifle didn't listen :D
Is now a 17 Remington.

would love to try the partitions as their flat base design may allow them in a 1:14"
suspect mine is closer to 14.5":1

sadly the Amax wouldn't fly without the tips off and I had to move to 40gr SBK for foxes.

Will see
going to do the loading this week I think

well that went well I think!

I skipped the really low loads and only did two of each of the mid range to whizz through looking for pressure signs and didn't want to use up the only 50 bullets I have!
As instructed by the paper in the box I loaded them over N133 to 2.211" OAL which is 50 thou off the lands give or take

22.2gr - two touching holes - POI 1" low and 1" right. Good start!
22.4gr - open slightly 1/2" gap, POI centre 1" right
22.6g - opened up to 2" group spread around the bull
22.8gr - 3 together separated 1/2" - POI - 3/4" high 1" right
23gr - 3 touching 1" High, 1/4" right
23.2gr - overlapping holes - POI 1" high bang centre!!

They walked around the clock from 4 o'clock to 12 o'clock with groups going from very tight to slack to very tight!!
According to the data they should be going 3200fps or so
They do smell funny? assume the dry lube burns a little as it zips along,

So I now have three loads
40gr SBK - zeroed 1/2" high at 100
60gr Hornady SP - POI just under the above
53gr Barnes XLC Copper - 1" high

all with the same lateral.
According to the data they should be going 3200fps or so
They do smell funny? assume the dry lube burns a little as it zips along,

now to put them to the test!!
Bring on the bucks!

Not quite the expansion and penetration test I was hoping for....

finally managed to pull my finger out and get out for a buck

got one.....

sadly he was minding his own business on the other side of a mesh fence when I came round the corner and he bumbled along to within 15-20 yards where I had no option other than to shoot him in the head! ....as that was the only bit above the wire/mesh!

Conclusion:
53gr of solid copper alloy clipping along at 3200+ fps at sub 20yds makes short work of a deer head....surprise surprise.

true test to follow

Back