Windproof Smock (gabardine?) MTP supplier

Atross

Hi

Im trying to find a decent windproof smock in MTP, after 3 years of constant hard use my surplus one has had it..... Long ago I had a DPM gabardine smock which was insanely good and I'm after a similar one in MTP. After a bit of searching I have only found one potential supplier and was wondering if anyone on here knew of any company that makes them (want to add in some mods).

Thanks

ash

Mind you they are probably "collectable" now. When I was a student I had a Dennison smock I used to wear. Chucked it out when I got a job. Saw one the other day for £500!!

David.

It does look as though sass are no more

I do have some helikon trousers which are also falling apart.... I guess I'm a bit hard on my gear...

this lot do the old-style SAS/RM Arctic smock in MTP (its not MTP, but if you can tell the difference from a foot away i'll give you a lollipop..).

Jackets Smocks ATP (Clothing)

sadly i don't think anyone is doing the original Ventile or Gabardine smocks at less than many hundreds of pounds, so unless you fancy shelling out more than my first three cars put together you're going to get a poly-cotton job. that doesn't mean they are rubbish, they aren't, poly-cotton has some advantages over the originals and in truth i bet that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart in terms of effect.

they just won't be quite as good right at the top end of the performance envelope - think sitting on a South Georgia mountain top...

There's also Solo International in Hereford. I had one of their Patrol smocks for a while, but wasn't getting the use out of it so sold it on. Sh*tloads of pouches for gralloching kit, first aid kit, etc...

Lots of choices on here - and good value as well: Jackets - British Military Surplus
The Goretex jackets are ofcourse Waterproof as well as windproof. Otherwise go for the windproof jacket.
The condition of most clothing/footwear from this site is described as 'used Grade 1 or Used Grade 2. However, in my experience, if you go for Grade 1, they are often delivered in the original packaging and brand new.
Obviously, if you prefer, you could go for a 'hunter' branded premium name and pay 5 to 10 times as much. But will you shoot more deer as a result? ;)

hi bored at xmas came across your post Radar clothing made the original smocks for the military they are in redcar I think

The jacket we are now issued as a "windproof smock" is not a patch on the old, DPM, Arctic Smock. The old smock was a proper, light weight gaberdine. The new ones....aren't.

there is still an issue gabardine mtp smock BUT restricted issue to those units who 'require' it for cold weather deployment. the standard smock is deemed good enough for majority of units, and it is...but heavy and hot. same with trousers and the cold weather complement means only one pair. there are blokes in eastern europe with temperate kit as there isnt enough to be issued in any case. this isnt really any difference since early-ish dpm days as windproof smocks were restricted to those going to norway/falklands.

it was easier to get dpm barbour jackets for south armagh than gabardine smocks at one time ....

You can definitely get the gaberdine all cotton windproof, non-wired hood, in MTP. It is exactly the same as the old DPM ones. Well worth searching for as it is light, dries quickly and is soft and silent and really keeps the wind at bay.

Loads available in DPM at reasonable prices. Not convinced of the relative merits of MTP over DPM for stalking.

Back