Sako ring query

JamesDeere

Hi guys,

I soon hope to acquire a Sako 85 and would like to mount my 4-16x50 PMII on top. Can I ask the guys who have a similar set up what rings/bases/mounts they used. I'd like to get the scope as low to the barrel as I can.
I'm thinking optilocks will be the answer but don't know if I can get an extra low 34mm ring??!

Thanks,
JD.

You can use optilocks which I think they only do one height size in 34mm but I could be wrong

you can also buy 3rd eye tactical / tier 1 rings which will bolt to the dovetail I also believe if you went up to them they'll machine a set for you with your specific height requirements

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked at the Optilock chart and from my estimation bases and low 34mm rings would give a BH of 17.5mm, add at least 3mm for rail over barrel and I think there could be a 9mm gap under scope objective. Think a call to Tier One to enquire about Sako direct fit mounts might be the answer

I may have over estimated the difference between rail and barrel and gap might be closer to 6mm which I could live with.

Last edited:
I'm sure that you're aware anyway but if you go too close to the barrel and use a moderator, the moderator will obscure your view on the lower magnifications. I appreciate that if you don't use below 8X magnification this will not be an issue but thought you should know!

I'm sure that you're aware anyway but if you go too close to the barrel and use a moderator, the moderator will obscure your view on the lower magnifications. I appreciate that if you don't use below 8X magnification this will not be an issue but thought you should know!

I have all my scopes mounted within millimetres of the barrel and never noticed the moderator obstructing even down at 4x, and I rarely ever go under 10x anyway. If needs be I can get a local stock maker to fit an adjustable cheek riser.

I have a Phoenix Tactical bipod mounted on the rail of my Steyr and while you'd assume it's going to obscure sight picture it's totally unnoticeable. The PMII pictured has 1.5mm clearance and is unhindered.

Last edited:
I have all my scopes mounted within millimetres of the barrel and never noticed the moderator obstructing even down at 4x, and I rarely ever go under 10x anyway. If needs be I can get a local stock maker to fit an adjustable cheek riser.
It's very noticeable on my Z6i below x5! I don't go down that low often either though so not a disaster!

Hi guys,

I soon hope to acquire a Sako 85 and would like to mount my 4-16x50 PMII on top. Can I ask the guys who have a similar set up what rings/bases/mounts they used. I'd like to get the scope as low to the barrel as I can.
I'm thinking optilocks will be the answer but don't know if I can get an extra low 34mm ring??!

Thanks,
JD.

I run a 85 with a PMII, One problem you will encounter is that you will need a 20MOA rail as without it you will already be at the top end of your elevation on zeroing. Not a problem if you are only shooting short distances, but that then negates the use of the PMII!!

I run a 85 with a PMII, One problem you will encounter is that you will need a 20MOA rail as without it you will already be at the top end of your elevation on zeroing. Not a problem if you are only shooting short distances, but that then negates the use of the PMII!!

What calibre is your rifle? I'm looking at a .204 and shooting out to 400-500 yards. The scope is currently mounted on the Steyr .223 in the picture and sits very high off the bore line and has plenty of elevation in reserve for my needs

25-06. Without the rail, on mounts and rings it was already over 1 & 3/4 the way around a double turn turret. I installed a 20MOA Pic rail and it moved the zero all the way back to the beginning.

I'd love to sit the sight lower but you are restricted with the 34 mm tube even with the lowest mounts. Not a lot of choice.

Last edited:
After giving this plenty of thought I decided to ditch the planned 34mm rimgs and went with the more versatile extra low 30mm and a z6 2.5-15x44. 5mm clearance but but the scope centre line sits 5mm lower too

I had seen these rings too but felt the scope would still be sitting too high. The cheek weld is just about right with the extra low rings and a butt stock cheek riser.

Give Alan Rhone a call, I think he could help sort you out ! he has always managed to sort all my rings out for my sako's and old tika's inc 20moa rails and rail scopes with sako base's

Alan Rhone had been suggested to me already and I had looked into MAK one piece mounts but now that I have the swaro mounted I'm happy with how it sits. I'm cutting down on the number of rifles I have so may even sell the Schmidt

Back