Is a secondhand HMR a bad idea?

oxfordshirestalker

Afternoon all!
I know the HMR isn't having the best of times but I've bitten the bullet for a number of reasons that don't need to be discussed.

I'm now looking into what to get and have settled on a CZ as I've always got on well with them.

I've heard and read things about HMRs wearing their barrels out rapidly and it's putting me off buying one secondhand a bit.

Should I be that scared about buying secondhand? Very keen to do so if at all possible. Is there any visual check that can be done to reliably see if the barrel is in good nick or does it have to be shot to be seen?

Thanks

If you can shoot it first that'll give a good indication of how well it shoots but obviously it doesn't tell you how worn it is

Why would an HMR wear it's barrel out rapidly? Rapid barrel wear is mainly down to hot loads which the HMR bullet isn't. I find it very hard to believe that they wear barrels out rapidly. A totally unfounded rumour I'll bet!

Check the crown - most common thing to affect accuracy (bar cleaning regime) with a HMR would be if the previous owner left the mod on all the time.

What's your budget?

Been more than happy with the CZ 452 .22 and .17hmr that I have purchased from members through here. I usually judge the people rather than the item and travel hopefully. The good thing about buying an existing package of rifle, scope, rings, mod, bipod and often a few rounds as well is that apart from a quick zero you are ready to go.

Edit: Apart from a decent light that is - bought a T67 with a red LED off fleabay for £30 - easily lights up everything to 130m which is all the range I need and 3 sets of batteries are good for 6 hours even in frosty conditions. Attaches and detaches in seconds so great for swapping between the .22 and the .17hmr.

Last edited:
Thanks all, all replies are useful in forming a picture!

i could buy new but if I can get away with a secondhand one then I'd like to.
I'm keen on a non-varmint barrel as the extra weight seems useless but I'm not keen on the new 455 American stock shape (sort of has a curved comb) assuming I've got the right model. Very fussy
I was thinking along the lines of a secondhand but little used 452, Sak moderator and Hawke vantage scope 4-12 x40 or 50.

Thanks

First off there are those that would say even a new 17 HMR is a bad idea.
The American model is the classic straight stock.
The lux etc are hogs back style stocks.
I dont have a 17 HMR personally but have a CZ 455 i 22LR which I am happy with.
I remember that George Digweed commented on 17HMR barrel life on a Fieldsports Britain episode.
The issue wasn't wear from the bullet but corrosion from the moderator rusting the barrel.
Don't know if he was taking mod off or not after use.

I have had 5 over the years and love the calibre,

the oldest one I had. had well over 7,000 shots down its barrel and still shoots well to this day at its new home in Kawood near Selby at my mates place,

the only issue with them was as mentioned is that people leave the mods on and that will mess up any barrel on any calibre.

the main issue is not down to the rifle be it a Andshoots,( :( posh rifle) a CZ or a browning etc its the AMMO and it seems that is a bit like just your luck if this happens to you.

I have had some ammo in the last few months and touch wood not had one issue as yet.

I still love the calibre I just don't use it anymore.

bob.

I have had 2 and i am about to take the plunge on another, regardless of ammo issues i have a niche for one.
Previous rifles were CZs, 452 varmint and 455 varmint, both shot 3/4" @ 100yds with ammo they liked but the 452 was a better build quality, if i was going to go down the CZ route again it would have to be a 452 for me.

Ian.

I have had 2 and i am about to take the plunge on another, regardless of ammo issues i have a niche for one.
Previous rifles were CZs, 452 varmint and 455 varmint, both shot 3/4" @ 100yds with ammo they liked but the 452 was a better build quality, if i was going to go down the CZ route again it would have to be a 452 for me.

Ian.

got to back Ian up on this,

the 452 is made better than the newer ones, I purchased my last one for a job for the MOD and it served me well. so well I never used all the ammo. :)

bob.

Mate just bought a second hand Left hand CZ 452 with LEI Moderator (Not a cheap SAK) and a reasonable scope £375 from a guns shop (So warrantied if its a lemon)

shoots fine in good over all condition and hes very happy with it

Personally I'm not sure a hwr is a good idea idea full stop, I used one briefly, they are accurate , unless the wind is blowing, or its raining, and they can bruise up small game so its useless, saying that on a still day you can murder crows where they think they are safe out of shotgun range. 22mag or a 222/223 is what i would use ........but that's just me . a s/h cz could always be sold on if you don't like it, so your hardly going to make a big mistake if you go down that route.

iwtshoot theres a 452 on my gallery sak mod hawke scope ,,have a look at that 16 inch varmint barrel dont panic its not heavy ,,,doug,your wellcome to try it anytime,i had a 455 new and couldn,t get on with the palm grip swell etc,and it felt unbalanced where as the 452 is just nice too handle ,plus right size for a truck gun,pm me if you want,

Last edited:
I got a second hand 17 hmr rugger 3 years ago( my first rifle) and find it great. I love the price £ 225, the 3 position safety, the 9 shot rotary mag and the accuracy, under 1 moa. down side is the scope rings are specific to rugger but the rings usually come with the rifle as the won't fit anything else. I liked it so much I bought a rugger 308 after passing my dsc1 last year.

My first rimfire was a beaten up old cz american in hmr......it was awesome! No idea what the round count was when i got it but i put 5000 + through it and it still shot well when i moved it on to get a new one (just because i fancied one)
Dont listen to the hmr haters.....ok they are not flawless, and as long as you work out the best cleaning regime for your rifle (which is little or no cleaning for mine) you will get great performance. For me its still the ultimate rabbit round for "my" circumstances.

Why would an HMR wear it's barrel out rapidly? Rapid barrel wear is mainly down to hot loads which the HMR bullet isn't. I find it very hard to believe that they wear barrels out rapidly. A totally unfounded rumour I'll bet!
You need to look for barrel bulge which indicate it having suffered the dreaded ammo problems...

Back