17 Hornet load data

treetop

Hi,

currently im using the lil'gun powder in my CZ, with the 20gr Vmax,
but im not that happy with it & don't like the fact that its erratic ..

i was was looking to change my loads , & use IMR 4227

i have found really useful info on line, with plenty of good reports,

a favourite load seems to be 10.2grs with the 20gr vmax , producing 3600fps , 1/2 MOA

my question is , what loads are you using ?

Cheers

I'm reloading with the 25gr v - max at the mo, lil gun a definate no no for these. I'm using H4198 with great consistant success without having any of the pressure problems of lil gun. The energy carrying ability of the 25gr is much better over range but I have to say I can't get it as accurate as the 20gr I think that they are probably better in the hotter calibers, perhaps my CZ twist rate does not suit it . So will be going back to 20gr soon. Would be interested how you get on.
By the way there is a very good thread on UKV about the what the true BC of the 20 and 25 gr v max which is worth a read....it bears no relationship to what it says on the box.

11.6gn Vit N120 with Berger 20gn Varmint Match gives 3600fps and very good accuracy out of my CZ.

I've heard the Bergers are v accurate, might well go for these myself, I don't think the BC is as good as the Hornady V max which was slightly putting me off. Had you previously tried the V max 20 grainers in comparison?

PS: Just checked the Berger website , they do not list a 20 grain bullet. Where do you get yours? Are they still available?

Last edited:
I've heard the Bergers are v accurate, might well go for these myself, I don't think the BC is as good as the Hornady V max which was slightly putting me off. Had you previously tried the V max 20 grainers in comparison?

PS: Just checked the Berger website , they do not list a 20 grain bullet. Where do you get yours? Are they still available?

I wouldn't worry about the Hornady BC. The figure they give is more of a marketing tool, and would only be possibly true at the very highest speed that bullet could be driven, certainly well over 4000fps. As you read on UKV, even a serious high pressure load with a double based powder can't get anywhere near that sort of performance out of the little Hornet. IMHO the Hornet is realistically effective out to 300 yards maximum, and BC becomes relevant beyond that.
I have tried the 20gn Vmax, but my rifle prefers the Berger which is unfortunately now discontinued and unavailable.

Last edited:
Back