Brand New Ruger 10/22 Issue - Help

willyroe

I have a brand new Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical which arrived last week.

It has an ATEC mod and factory heavy barrell.

6-24 x44 Hawke vantage scope and came with cheap hawke mounts - replaced with Leupold straight away onto a factory weaver rail.

So i am 50% happy, it groups, shoots straight but will not zero. there seems to be a massive mis-alignment. At 30m it will shoot almost on target (1 inch low) with scope hooched right up and rear ring shimmed with 2 bits of credit card style plastic. This is no good, i want to zero at 50m and be able to shoot at 100m with scope clicks.

Unacceptable, but before it gets returned, any ideas? I have read on US .22 forums about barrel droop.

And/or a different scope rail. If holes permit, try turning the scope rail around. If that doesn't work, remove the credit card bits from the rings as that arrangement can mess up the scope. Then pack the rear of the rail until the scope is on target when optically centred. Then remove the rail and use a plastic metal compound to angle the scope base correctly. Be sure to use a release agent (a good dose of wax furniture polish) to ensure the rail doesn't stick to the rifle's action. Job done.

Thanks gents, think i will give it a couple more hours process of elimination combos (inc different scope) then send back if no joy.

Slightly dissapointed, just doesnt make sense for a new gun and new scope to be so far out.

If the scope needs to be shimmer that much is it possible the rail is elevated but put on back to front?

I had the same problem when I put a Leupold one piece mount on my 10/22. Had to grind the base down to get it right.
Changed over eventually to a genuine Ruger weaver/picatinny rail as I sold the scope and never had a problem since.
So it was either the scope or the rail, as the mounts have been used on other scopes since, sorry I just can't tell you which.

Thanks for the input, the guilty party was the rail. 0.3mm depth differential between the front and rear slots where the anti recoil bars sit. Just wish i got the digital calipers out straight away.

Quick shim and all sorted. Sooooooo accurate at 30m, and even at 75m (shooting CCI sub sonic). Serious fun and well pleased the new addition is working well. Absolute joy to throw 100 rounds down on to targets and it not cost about £100!!!!

Not at all, retailer down south via the web (who have been excellent). Offered to take it all back, but not necessary once issue identified.

Back