carcass extraction

waggy 1

What do you use for carcass collection, extraction & dressing out of your Deer ?

Attachments

• 20160227_120704.jpg
    20160227_120704.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 20160227_121305.jpg
    20160227_121305.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 20160227_121847.jpg
    20160227_121847.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 20160227_125522.jpg
    20160227_125522.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 471
I use a pony for all of my extractions.... shanks' s pony that is
in fairness I would love a quad or 4x4 but there just to much money for me with a young family but maybe next time I get a new car I wouldnt mind trying to upgrade the old 307 to somthing like a x trail or similar small 4x4

Last edited:
Very interesting.......The trailer I use is to go through some major changes this summer and you pic has given me food for thought. Saying that I do especially like muntjac to avoid all the hassle.....especially if you have someone willing to backpack them out for you... :lol:

Attachments

• 20160306_173901.jpg
    20160306_173901.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 318
  • 20120930_113731.jpg
    20120930_113731.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Roe is always over the shoulders on paracord. Red can be manual all the way out or to Landy/Argo/quad. Sure I gave s picture somewhere of a quad with 9 or so beasts on it !

Good Quality Roe sack or paracord the legs.
I have considered an Ikea shopping bag as it folds up small in the pocket to allow me to stalk light but yet to try it.
I just couldn't see a Quad getting where I need to extract from, just too wet and boggy, Argo? maybe, but only shoot the odd roe so doesn't warrant the investment.

i would really like to get hold of one of those kellty game carriers but to be honest i cant find anyone in the uk who stocks them or anything like it

Very cool bit of fabrication in the OP. Looks like a selection of clean head/neck shots.

i use supermarket delivery baskets cable tied to the quad. 2 on the back, 1 larger (veg box) on the front. can take 4 roe no problem.

for the last year or so i have opted to do as much of my roe prep in the field immediately with knife and mini saw. Head, legs, full gralloch, open up the chest and pelvis. Saves on mess/clean up at the other end and makes everything lighter and smaller for extraction.

Just having the cover made for my trailer. Quad goes inside then can tow if required. Sides lift up to make covered area at side of trailer. Got a little derrik that drops into any of the corner posts for suspended grallock or loading carcass. Have a few other ideas of little attachments that could make it more useful. I'll do a few pictures once I get it back.

I have considered an Ikea shopping bag as it folds up small in the pocket to allow me to stalk light but yet to try it.

The Ikea bags work a treat, and take no room whatsoever.

M

The Ikea bags work a treat, and take no room whatsoever.

M

They're sturdy bags right enough, but an absolute bugger to carry with any weight in. We usually carry out feed to feed hoppers in PLCE bergans (luckily we've only got a km or so to walk from the farm), but last week I left mine at home by acident and used an Ikea bag to carry about 20kg of feed. It's not something I want to do again.

I use a Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 quad and field dress/gralloch it on the ground... can't seem to get used to doing it while they're hanging up.

How do you attach it to the front legs? I've never worked out a reliable way to do this.

Its called a rolling hitch -

A very useful knot to know as it has multiple uses - a slightly more complicated version is the prussik Knot which is used to climb up a tree or rope.

Rolling hitch grips hard with tension and grips harder the more weight that is on it.

Cheers Heym, leave the feet on cross the legs and the knot should slide and settle against the Knuckle of the Deers knee's.Can be slung and carried in a few ways, personally i strap all 4 legs and carry over the shoulder for want of a better description in the Foetal position.
And that doesn't just slip on the fur?

Back