Thread: How many makes a herd?

How many makes a herd?

I was heading from Glasgow up to Fife this morning and looking for deer in the usual spots. In a large field adjacent to the M876 where I often see deer (think 6 would be biggest group to date) I counted 16 deer this morning. All heads down feeding and evenly spread within an area of no more a footie pitch in size.

How unusual is it to see that number together? There will still be youngsters with their mothers but even so I was surprised to see so many.

I take it you mean Roe Deer? Thats a lot,most we get down here is around 6-8 occasionally.

Roe Deer (collective noun is bevy)?
    afaik they collect together (on occasion) in larger than normal groups to exploit reasources but don't really 'herd' as such.......

I could give some relatively unhelpful answers:

1. Many population ecologists would say that 'more than one' is a herd.

2. Most social ecologists would say it's only a herd if membership is stable over the long term: ie. the same animals stay together over several weeks or months.

If this is roe, then they are unlikely to associate together over the long term: they just happen to have aggregated for a short time on a patch with a good food supply.

Since I'm a social ecologist, I'd say you saw a 'temporary, resource based aggregregation', not a herd. But that doesn't really trip off the tongue. A rabble of roe?

They group up at this time of year, seen a 7 and 12 recently

Sorry! Yes it was roe. Question in the title was a bit flippant as I know they don't herd as such. Just surprised to see so many in a group.

By the way I've just driven back home and there were least 8 visible at the same spot. May well have been more but not so easy to count heading in that direction!

i wonder who owns the shooting...

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    Here any more than three is a 'mob"
    Dont dither,take the shot!

I saw groups of 30 to 40 Roe in the Czech Rep a few years ago - this was in the winter after heavy snow.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Don't ask Bagio. The controversy caused between the difference of a few and a couple was all I could bear earlier this week. I off now before this gets complicated and my little brain goes into overdrive.