Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-auto shotgun

Semi-auto shotgun

Am looking to buy a general purpose semi-auto 12g, could any one give me some pointers as to the best models out there. Many thanks.

AA-12 looks fun.

Beretta is as good as they get , just make sure it has sling swival studs as a lot do not

Benelli M2 or SBE II, AK47 of shotguns.

Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by wcog106 View Post
    AA-12 looks fun.
    There may be a couple problems with that one. The Bora Barrack comes close mind.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I've got a Winchester sx3, it takes 3 1/2 inch shells and can't fault it as an everyday work gun. Not too pricey either.

Beretta AL391, pretty much as reliable as you can get, love mine and it has never missed a beat.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I have a Browning Maxus and really like it. Not as bulky as some, very pointable and yet still has a 3.5" chamber. Some good deals 2nd hand as they don't seem to hold their money quite as well as say a Beretta extrema or Benelli.

Depends what you mean by general purpose. If you want something that'll do everything, including geese, then you might want something that can take 3 1/2" cartridges. I've got a Beretta Xtreme. It recycles any cartridges you care to mention, has been used for pigeon, crow, rabbit and geese and it simply hasn't missed a beat. It's been used in pouring rain, lying in muddy fields and hides and still scrubs up well (although, as a species, semi-auto guns aren't the best looking things). You also get the "kick Ease" (probably spelt wrong) which is a damping system in the stock, which really works in soaking up the recoil with big loads. Are there any drawbacks? Well it isn't the cheapest, but you get a gun made of materials that will last.

As an example, on a recent trip to Orkney for geese, a mate had a Browning. Whereas I needed to give mine a quick rub down to make it good again, on his, the rust was already starting to show and he had bought it just before that trip!
    Last edited by Pedro; 13-03-2016 at 02:57.

Regular Poster
    Worcestershire/ Manchester
    As above really, can't fault my beretta A400. Don't use it as much as my o/u, but it is great for pigeons and clays.