Tracking

Heym SR20

Went out for a potter this afternoon with my one year old on Monday lab/BMH cross. We are slowly getting the hang of stalking quietly, but she is still at the stage of every smell needs investigating and wants to follow every deer track. She remains on the lead. Going through the larch - hackles up, and almost fizzing. I try to keep calm and enthuse calmness in her. We lie down at side of a ride and wait five minutes. And the reward a nice full bodied young spiker pops out 30 yards ahead of us. It would have been any easy shot, but the hound sits quietly, fully alert and watches him. When he quietly moves into cover, she gives me an utter look of disgust - well I showed you where he was, and what no venison you stupid .......

We walk on quietly, and see another good Buck, but trying to be quiet is getting impossible so just walk out normally and she goes for a good play in the pond.

20 minutes of attention and then she needs a play. I am just keeping on little by little and one day she will be good dog. It's good that she wants to follow everything - she has the drive, just need to keep working on the steadiness.

if my 18month old pointer could stay focused for 3mins that would be a start, he just thinks life's a party ....patience & practice

Went for a long walk down across the top of the Border Hills. Stopped for lunch. She snuffled about in the heather and flattened grass (snow has just melted) and came out with a huge vole (all of an inch long) for she brought to me for my lunch. She is getting the idea!

if my 18month old pointer could stay focused for 3mins that would be a start, he just thinks life's a party ....patience & practice

2 year old Weimaraner just the same. Taken 7 deer with her so far, but just when you think it's all sunk in off she goes playing chase the deer doesn't seem to grasp the only ones she can catch are the ones I've just shot lol

Back