Thread: Stailnless/Blued Barrel's

Stainless/Blued Barrel's

Any advantages/disadvantages of buying a rifle with a stainless barrel as appose to a blued barrel?
    Last edited by Lucky Sniper; 13-03-2016 at 06:03.

Stainless is more corrosion resistant, and takes longer to warm up when firing a string of shots, so could get an extra couple of shots off, but it also takes longer to cool down once you do get it hot.

plus its heavier,and shiny,but you can coat them,,,,,duracoat/ceracoat,,, paint them and generally abuse them,and obviously do the same to steel/blue

Stainless barrels are supposed to be less prone to throat wear.

I have one blued 308 barrel and kicking myself I didn't spend more for stainless. The blued barrel is rusted inside before I get home on a day's stalking with our wet conditions. I can't get myself to oil a barrel before going out or after every shot. My deer stalking is 90% in rain.
    Stainless is the way to go. Saying that I don't have much problems with a 223foxing or 22lr rabbit rifle as I mostly only go in dry conditions.

I really like to see a nice blued barrel complemented by a high grade wood but as I spend a week at a time on the hill in all weathers it doesn't suit me so I have a synthetic and stainless

Edi try putting a bit of electrical tape over the muzzle it'll keep the moisture out and you can shoot through it

Staffordshire synthetic stocks