Atv

levigsp

So, I need to get a new ATV for this coming winter.
I will be used on very wet heather hills and in the snow.
What do people use/recommend or am I stuck with Argo's?

Last edited:
Honda, Honda and Honda.
Robertsons of Tain have always been very helpful when I have used them for parts.
There is also a Polaris dealer in Dingwall, they are making good bikes these days.

Honda Quad or Polaris Ranger, either with half tracks. Or stick with Argo.

Alan Rose is Dealer in the Borders and Stalker himself.

Honda, preferably a slightly older model with less electronics. A few of the grouse keepers near me have Can-am's, most prefer the Honda's they traded in

long shot

But when I was in the forces we used the old version of the modern [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif, arial, helvetica]Viking (BvS10) in Norway[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif, arial, helvetica]Often thought they would make an awesome ATV for extreme terrain

should be able to pick one up in the military surplus world
[/FONT]

You need an argo ...................................... just so happens I have one surplus to requirements :D

I have Quads, but that's not what I need, they simply don't get where I need to get especially in the snow when after hinds.

Probably stick with an argo then, you might get a supercat buy I doubt it has any advantage over an argo. A BV might get you everywhere you need but the running costs are ridiculous. I think even the diesel version has MPG in single figures. Pinzgauer 6x6 are quite handy but might not suit your terrain

Would some tracks for the quad be sufficient ?
So, I have never used tracks on a quad so don't know how they would work etc.
Long story short, I lost my argo down a brae into the deep unknown! so this winter have been using a quad.
On more than one occasion I had the whole thing submerged!, its a miracle that its still running, but its definitely not going back for some more.

Recently swapped my Argo for a Polaris Ranger. It will not go everywhere the Argo could but it is surprisingly capable . If you can borrow one or arrange a demo on your ground it may be what you need. It is also much more useful for genaral work - does not turn your grass into a replica of the Somme.

Know 1 big sheep farm, run 3 quads but throu winter put those tracks things on 1 of them for getting out on there hill. They think there brillaint, quite a hard hill thou but about 12 miles to far end and can hold a bit of snow.

Meant to be very good and u can change back to wheels in an hour or so. The drive sprocket for tracks just bolts on to quad wheel studs so just like changing a wheel and lifting it a bit
The ground pressure reduces down to bugger all for the quad, may be different if loaded up with hinds thou.
Did john of the site not buy a set for his quad a few years ago?

Probably the most adaptable/cheapest solution otherwise try and buy some sort of tracked vehicle, plenty of old strange looking ones on some grouse moors big hill farms doubt they'd sell them thou as so simple to maintain

1 of the yorkshire moors i go to uses the 6 wheel polaris, seem pretty good althou wet not mega steep so not sure if willl go everywhere a argo will

i will be at Kelso Stalking Fair with a few different Polaris Rangers and bikes.
i might have one on tracks there this year.

i take a ranger up near Ullapool for stalking every year and it smashes the Argo out of the water.
i can out climb it, i can go along the road, carry 3 seated people and so so comfy.

ill have a Ranger 6x6, a Ranger Diesel 4x4 , maybe a Browning 570 Ranger and some sort of quad.

Hope to see you guys there.

Alan

I'm a Honda guy! But since they change to making water cooled bikes I've changed to Suzuki.
Brilliant bike with the hi and low ratio will go anywhere. And can get the 400 in manual or auto.
But for me it's a Suzuki kingquad next.
Most of the estates here are using them now and we're wet mossy hilly land up in Lewis.

Back