early mornings results

centralbeltstalker

Following a 0400 rise i set off to stalk a young buck.
we have not seen a lot of bucks about lately but last night i had seen three.
although all three where either too far away for a shot, 215 yards one was running like it was on a mission and the last seen me before i saw him so he was off. i went down a hill we call heart attack hill, known as that because if you have to carry a deer back up that's what your likely to get. i had already decided that i was going to stop half way down the hill and observe for one on the bucks i had seen the previous evening. i got to the spot where i wanted to be at approx 0450. the view is approx 300 meters of valley with some self planters on either side.the brackens about 4/6 inchs now so its starting to make a difference. couple more weeks and i reckon we wont be able to see the deer. any ways after about thirty/forty mins of nothing moving i spied this young fellow about 110 yards away. he was walking downwards towards the centre of the valley but towards me. after 4/5 mins he finally turned to eat some foliage and i could see his broadside. i was firing from a mound so without delay got the rifle and i took a heart/lung shot. following the shot i watched him run off up the opposite side until out of view 10 yards. i waiting for a few mins before entering the valley. i had marked his last know position and headed to it. before i got to it i could see his body. gave it a quick spy and seen he had fallen with his head facing back. nice buck. well happy

shot this morning at 05.34 aberdeen

Nice one mate well done.. I hope to be going up nere northumberland next weekend for a stalk. Neil..

Cracking stalk by the sounds of things ;) Nice to see someone shooting deer in season too :p

Why the Zip-tie round the rifle?

Sam

Last edited:
Cracking stalk by the sounds of things ;) Nice to see someone shooting deer in season too :p

Why the Zip-tie round the rifle?

Sam

sam,

how ya doing mate, thats nasty ha ha but true especially for such an inexperienced stalker

well spotted for the cable tie. what happened was as they say buy cheap buy twice.
i got from a certain well known online store a bipod cheap new under £20
i attached it to my forend and it threaded the hole so it made the bipod unusable.was wrong treads to what where in the hole if you know what i mean....
when i retread it and added back the swivel i placed the tie as a fail safe in case one day it came loose and my rifle fell off....:doh:.

dont buy cheap crap... it expensive for a reason and that is because it works ha ha:-|

sam,

how ya doing mate, thats nasty ha ha but true especially for such an inexperienced stalker

well spotted for the cable tie. what happened was as they say buy cheap buy twice.
i got from a certain well known online store a bipod cheap new under £20
i attached it to my forend and it threaded the hole so it made the bipod unusable.was wrong treads to what where in the hole if you know what i mean....
when i retread it and added back the swivel i placed the tie as a fail safe in case one day it came loose and my rifle fell off....:doh:.

dont buy cheap crap... it expensive for a reason and that is because it works ha ha:-|
Hi Central belt,
I don't aim this at you, but at any inexperienced stalker that might see the picture, and decide to follow suit. The tie wrap in question must be left very loose, or it will affect the accuracy of the rifle by not allowing the barrel to free float. I'm sure it is loose, but it's not easy to tell from the photo.

Nice buck, and a nice write up too,

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Central belt,
I don't aim this at you, but at any inexperienced stalker that might see the picture, and decide to follow suit. The tie wrap in question must be left very loose, or it will affect the accuracy of the rifle by not allowing the barrel to free float. I'm sure it is loose, but it's not easy to tell from the photo.

Nice buck, and a nice write up too,

Mark

Noted mark and thanks, i know where your coming from... i should have mentioned that

the tie is only on the rifle as a fail-safe measure (if the screw came loose) and does not interfere with the barrel by holding it to the forend.
i will eventually get round to trying to fix the bipod on but as i always carry a bag i use that more times than not. at the time the bipod seemed like a good idea.

f.

Back