Which .22lr

J0RD4N

I'm looking at getting a .22lr. Just looking for some advice on a good gun to get and a good scope to choose will have a mod aswell.
Im not to keen on the thumb hole stocks either.
I'm getting a browning t-bolt in .17hmr.

Buy the best one you can afford because the LR will be something you'll never sell if you get it right first time IMHO.

I have an Anschutz 1417 with a S&B 8x56 on top (don't have any issues with the set parallax) and it is superb, although I note you're not a fan of thumbholes - Anschutz do standard stocked .22LR's - other good ones would be Weihrauch, original Sako Finnfire, Sako Quad (have both barrels on one chassis) and CZ - all great out the box.

And just get as good glass as you can afford too - it'll always hold it's value and won't leave you wanting at last light on them bunnies :thumb:

I was looking at the anschutz rifles and seriously thinking about one.
What are the weihrauch rifles like? Seen them but not herd of many.
I was thinking about a t-bolt .22 aswell but fancy having a different make.

Just bought a ruger 10/22 target tactical (see youtube for clips/reviews). It has an small £40 atec moderator and comes with a little budget bi-pod. I put a hawke 6-24x44 scope on it with leupold rings.

Had a sighting/zero issue but easily resolved with a shim once i worked out the rail was out.

Only had it 2 weeks and and great fun - especially with 25 rnd magazines. Easy grouping 1 inch at 75m and clover leaf at 30m.

semi auto makes it fun too!

Happy shopping!

I was looking at the anschutz rifles and seriously thinking about one.
What are the weihrauch rifles like? Seen them but not herd of many.
I was thinking about a t-bolt .22 aswell but fancy having a different make.

HW66 Production - beautiful bit of kit

Thanks for the replies.
I was just looking at the HW66 production on sportsmanguncentre it's a really nice looking rifle.

Perhaps you might like to forget the T bolt or you could possibly regret it. Do a site search and you will find that one or two site members have not been entirely happy with theirs the main issue being a poor trigger. Personally I would consider a CZ instead and the same goes for the .22 rifle. Once again there has been no end of information posted by site members on the Brno/CZ rifles. The only slight problem with these rifles is a slightly heavy trigger as it comes from the box but that is easily and cheaply rectified and the end result is a good working rifle (not a work of art admittedly).

With regard to the Anschutz personally I think its a very nice rifle but there are a couple of issues with it when used out in the field that can cause a few problems. The first being bolt lift because the safety doesn't lock the bolt and the second being a tight target chamber that can require the use of a knife to remove unfired chambered rounds when using some ammunition. If you can live with this you will be very happy with one even if it is a fair bit more costly than a rough and ready CZ/Brno.

I was looking at the CZ 455 American synthetic stock. Nice looking rifles and quiet high on my list.
Do you know if cz's come threaded?
Think a synthetic stock is better for me.

What year do the original finnfires start and finish at?
Do you know if the finnfire II are any good?
Sorry not sure when they finished -probably at least 10 years ago , the mk2 is not a patch on the original ,Sako made a mistake by trying to tell people that a Quad with a better stock is a finfire.

Hi JORD4N I've got a Sako finnfire and an Anschutz 1417 if you want to have a look/play with. I'm in Stornoway, PM me.

.22 lr

I'd recommend CZ .22LR

Had mine for over 20 years and it's still great.

Got barrel cut down and re threaded. Still very accurate, even with shortened barrel.

I have a CZ 452 in 22. It's fine after trigger modification. However I just bought an Anschutz 1517 (.17) and it's a world apart! Go for Anschutz if you can spare the extra cash, wonderfully accurate and so well built. I have the Walnut thumb hole, bought second hand for £550

The 455 is switch barrel not hard to do only two grub screws,but it comes down to two imho cz 452 or anshutz 1417, get any and you will be made up, i promise you,

I say, forget the moderator. Just use subsonic .22 Short HP when needed on vermin.

Get something nice with iron sights, that you can use as a companion to your centerfire for practice. Try to use similar scopes.
CZ is nice and really accurate.
Older, discontinued Browning A-Bolt 22 and Sako Finnfire are wonderful, full sized gems.
Ruger 77/22, same thing, if you can find one.
Ruger American today.
Marlin 39A is a full-sized man's .22 which will surprise you.
Browning BL-22 is a small lever rifle which is perfect for teaching a boy or girl to shoot.

+1 on what David Moss said

I own both Anschutz 1417 and CZ 452 American.

CZ is a solid 'work horse' rifle. I upgraded the trigger on mine for an adjustable Timney trigger.

Anschutz is a quality, smooth, refined rifle which you will have to make no upgrades to. If you can afford it, go for the Anschutz.

I agree that the original Sako Finnfire is about as good as it gets.
I don't like the Anschutz - the stocks remind me of a really cheap air rifle! (Tin hat on) - Is it just me??? Apart from that they do shoot rather well.
My personal favorite is the Walther - I'm biassed as I have two! Just as accurate as an Anschutz but a darn sight more isthetically pleasing.
Ruger 77-22 is great - unless you get one that just won't shoot straight - I know of two that had to be rebarrelled !
CZ - Brno a bit agricultural but do shoot well & don't break down often.

Ian

Whilst I could recommend both the anschutz and the cz.... I have had two of each over time.... I would in all honesty get a browning t bolt in 22lr to mirror the 17hmr. Reason being that once you are comfortable using the t bolt you will become familiar with the way the rifle handles which in turn will bring about better consistency in your shooting with both rifles and with consistency comes accuracy and better shooting.

However....... if you must have a totally different rifle then I would go with a cz. Mainly due to the availability of aftermarket stocks etc.

As you have the 17hmr for longer shots the 22lr will be better left to a maximum of 70 yards, and with the right ammo any of the aforementioned rifles in the thread with shoot well. So it's down to handling really and whichever you feel fits you best should be the one to go for.
It's not a case of 'which is best' because everyone's rifle is better than everyone else's! It's down to what YOU are comfortable with.

Back