Range Day Ammunition?

SC243

Okay so the importance of using the same ammunition to ensure consistency is obvious, and we use expanding ammunition for checking the zero and stalking.

If it is just a day on the range and rifle practice what sort of ammo do you use?

I’m hoping to join a rifle club soon and get some days on the range with my .243. So does anyone have any recommendations for ammunition that will give a reasonably close performance to say Federal V Shock 100 grain?

I've got a range day in a couple of weeks. The rws 150g sp bullets I use go from £1.65 to £2.25 each. I can't afford that on a range day, so I got from bisley yesterday 200 150g ex NATO bullets at 40 pence each. *I know the zero will be off but it's all about pratice at different ranges and firing positions. *I will use a few rws bullets too just so I know what they do a different ranges and of course a check zero. *

Cheers John*

I was thinking the same, if I go to a BDS range day, what would I use? I have a .270 and .22-250, are FMJ bullets available for these calibers/cartridges and if so where from? Are they available as off the shelf ready to go or would they need to be bought and assembled using the same powder,OAL etc as home loaded stalking ammunition?

TJ

I can see the arguement for using cheaper stuff for practice, and I agree the POI wouldn't matter, as you could re-zero. My worry would be buying 200rnds of ex-military 7.62 only to find it performed badly in my rifle.

GECO .308 I last bought at about £20 a box. Not cheap, but will shoot 1" for me.

Daula, Your right, that was in the back of my mind when I got them. I'm only going to be shooting at standard stalking ranges. My logic is as long as they perform consistantly badly it should be ok, I hope!

Okay so the importance of using the same ammunition to ensure consistency is obvious, and we use expanding ammunition for checking the zero and stalking.

If it is just a day on the range and rifle practice what sort of ammo do you use?

I’m hoping to join a rifle club soon and get some days on the range with my .243. So does anyone have any recommendations for ammunition that will give a reasonably close performance to say Federal V Shock 100 grain?

Scott, have you tried the Prvi Partizan available from Krank's? It's certainly more economical than Federal, and if it shoots ok in your rifle there's no need to chop and change ammo from range to field.
Swapping brands can mess with your head.

I have been using Sierra Match Kings (142gr) in my 260 Rem at Castlelaw (400m) and Lothian & Borders Rifle Club (130 yds) recently. Haven't decided whether to go with 129 gr SP or 129 gr SST for red deer once the season starts. Rgds JCS

Tarty, I think you may find your 22-250 may exceed the range template, depending on the range your using.

Never having done private range work, I'd never have thought about that, I assume it's a fps/muzzle velocity thing?

Yet again, every day is a school day on the SD.

TJ

I suppose you could invoke your current employee status?:D
Unlike those who no longer have the T shirt ......... :coat:........ I calculated my 7mm short mag to be just inside the template for Sealand this friday ...by 31 Joules:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using Sierra Match Kings (142gr) in my 260 Rem at Castlelaw (400m) and Lothian & Borders Rifle Club (130 yds) recently. Haven't decided whether to go with 129 gr SP or 129 gr SST for red deer once the season starts. Rgds JCS

Where is the L and B club???

Nell

I have used 140,129 and 100 gr hornaday in my .260 rem. I was not happy with the 140's in my rifle well in 4'' group for deer but not tight enough for my confidence. 100 gr did not exit in fallow [ killed the ones i shot ok but i like some paint incase of a follow up]. 129's shoot 1" lower than 100 gr at 100m and exit so thats what i use now !
Still use 100 gr but on Fox.

Splash. I have spent a bit of time and money on my 260 Rem loads over the last couple of years. The 129 gr are work in progress, but this is where I have got to so far:
142 SMK 44.5gr N165 on the lands 2620 fps
129 gr Hornady SP 46.4gr N165 20 thou off the lands ~2750 fps
129 gr Hornady SST 45.5gr RL-19 20 thou of the lands – not chrono’d yet.
All neck turned Rem brass, with CCI 200 primers. Full length resized every time. Seating seems critical to me and I am trying to seat plus or minus 2 thou. All these loads will produce a 3 shot group at 100yds of less than an inch. On the Mannlicher Pro-Hunter, I could never get a 129 gr SST load that I was happy with, but the new rifle seems more forgiving. Rgds JCS

What lenght is your barrel ? mine's 20".

Splash. The latest 260 Rem from Russell Gall is a 1:8 twist Kreiger barrel 23.5 inches long. The Pro-Hunter was the same length. If you are ever in this part of the world, give me a PM and drop by. Rgds JCS

Back